Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund fury 1400 20 hp prop size? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-02-2020, 06:48 AM
Minnow

Default Lund fury 1400 20 hp prop size?

Hello,
This past summer, Iordered a 2019 Lund fury 1400 tiller with a 20 hp 4 stroke 2019 mercury electric start power trim. I chose the 20 hp specifically over a 25 or 30 due to the fact of Mercuryís redesigned 20 hp motor with the new tiller handle similar to the big tiller handle on 40+ hp outboards. Love the boat and motor but cant seen to get it to get Me and my wife on plane. It gets me alone on plane just fine and runs about 24 mph at wot. Just looking for better suggestions on a different prop size or pitch. Should I stay with a 3 blade or go to a 4? Motor came with a 3 blade 10 pitch and it almost gets us on plane but doesnít quite get it there. Also under anything except 1/4 throttle the power trim does not have enough power to trim up. Iím not too concerned about speed just want to get onto plane. Dealer has been no help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Keeper

24 mph on that boat with only a 20 Horse is impressive. That’s a strong motor.

Your 10” prop is just too fast for two people. It looks like a 9” is available which would drop your speed 10% by yourself and might be just enough for the two of you. Even 8” might be where you need to be for two plus the live well and other stuff.

You may find you need two props. The fast for solo, the slow for duo.

The power tilt mechanism on your motor is probably only power tilt. Not power tilt and trim. Chances are, it’s working properly.

I love the Fury. Excellent boats! And I am impressed with the performance from your 20. Seems great.

Steve
Old 02-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Slot Fish

Look at the weight. Boat is 500lbs and if you are 200 and wife is 150, that’s 850lbs plus gear you are asking a 20hp engine to push. If you drop 2” in pitch to a 8” prop, you will get more rpms but still might not have enough power to hit a speed that will get you to plane (12-13mph).

I had a 15’ aluminum that weighed 350lbs and had a Honda 30. A 25hp would have worked but a 20hp would not. A friend has a 14’ three bench aluminum boat (200lbs) with a Honda 20hp and barely planes with two at 13-14mph with a stock prop.

Hate to say this but I do not think you will be happy with the performance unless you re-power to a 25 or 30hp. Most 20hp engines are just 15’s that are tuned to squeeze every little bit of hp out of it. The tiller handle might be nice but power trim and more horsepower, to me, is more important if I wanted the Fury to reach its max potential.

Last edited by BKfishing; 02-02-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Minnow

I appreciate the responses. I was unaware that the power tilt was not intended to trim the motor at running speed! Iím used to my old 50 Merc. Ill have to try a 8 pitch and see what it does for me. If it cant get up and on plane with that then i may have to repower unfortunately. If thatís the case Iíll go to the 30 hp toghatsu. Same tiller handle. Your right Steve they are very nice boats and i love fishing out of my 14 footer. Most of my fishing is solo trolling and jigging so its a perfect boat for me and the rare occasion i can coax the mrs. onto the water! Thanks for the help guys and I cant wait to get it onto the water!

Tags
fury 1400 , lund , mercury 20hp , pitch , prop