Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
24v or 12v trolling motor on Alumacraft V16 tiller - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-11-2021, 03:04 PM
Minnow

Default My setup

I have a 16ft tiller aeroliner (old Winnipeg manufacturer) with a 25hp tiller that I decided to "bling up". I added a full floor, cladded the bench sheets, added a casting platform, carpet all around...all in 3/4 inch plywood. Turns out I went a bit heavy on the bling. I also added a bow mount Minn Kota PD 12V 55lb thrust. In addition I run an older Lowrance sounder in the bow, and a newer Garmin in the stern.

Initially I had a lead acid group 31 in the rear (cut out a compartment in the rear bench seat) and a group 24 lead acid in the bow under the casting platform. I ran wire from the 31 to the trolling motor in the bow and wire from the 24 to the 2 sounders.

It was quickly apparent that I had to shed some weight so I bought 2 lithiums (100ah and a 60 ah) to replace the lead acids.

I am quite happy with the setup. The 55lb TM has more than enough power to allow me to troll and spot lock in either current or strong winds. The lithium batteries are not only lighter, they also provide far more reserve power than the previous lead acids. The lithiums will last me 3 plus days of moderate fishing, or 2 days of 10hr fishing days (may even go longer, but that's when they get hit with the charger).

So IMO, real world real user advice...

The 55lb 12v is perfect for my 16ft tinner (heavy as it is).
I would mount the TM on the bow, not on the stern, for better boat control.
If finances allow, lithium would be the way to go.
One battery for the TM, a second battery for the other electronics.

However...be aware that if your motor has an alternator, the lithiums are probably NOT compatible with the charging system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
12v , 24v , ipilot , terrova , trolling motor