Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Is it Water or Gas in my Kicker Engine Oil - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-01-2021, 03:48 PM
Keeper

Default Is it Water or Gas in my Kicker Engine Oil

Attached a pic of my oil change from my 2014 Mercury pro kicker today. Don't know if it's water or gas in the oil but I know it's not good. Really not sure if I can smell gas in it or not. Hasn't been used since Thursday so not sure if the water would separate in that time frame. Any thoughts on cost to replace a head gasket while I'm posting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2063.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	326084  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2021, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

That looks really bad. That looks just the oil on my old Pontiac when the intake manifold gasket let go, and dumped all the coolant into the crackcase.

I think you would be able to smell it if was gas. Not even sure the gas would discolor it that badly. Maybe the guys who had issues of "Makin Oil" with their motors can comment . In the meantime,,How about using some sort of clear container, mix that old oil up really good, then pour some into the clear container and let it sit a few days. If it's water, should be able to see a distinct accumulation at the bottom of the container as it separates out.

If it's gas not sure what would look like, but I would think maybe it would have already evaporated out? Someone else will have to comment on that.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:57 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
That looks really bad. That looks just the oil on my old Pontiac when the intake manifold gasket let go, and dumped all the coolant into the crackcase.

I think you would be able to smell it if was gas. Not even sure the gas would discolor it that badly. Maybe the guys who had issues of "Makin Oil" with their motors can comment . In the meantime,,How about using some sort of clear container, mix that old oil up really good, then pour some into the clear container and let it sit a few days. If it's water, should be able to see a distinct accumulation at the bottom of the container as it separates out.

If it's gas not sure what would look like, but I would think maybe it would have already evaporated out? Someone else will have to comment on that.

Good luck.
Yep poured some into a clear bottle and waiting day at a time I guess for results...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2021, 06:55 PM
Keeper

That sure looks like water contamination to me. The mechanical action in the crankcase whips it into an emulsion like mayonnaise. Since it hasn’t separated since you used it Thursday, I’d bet it’s not going to separate much in your container.

I’m not sure what your next step ought to be. That looks like more water than you’d expect to get from just blow by or condensation buildup. You might want to change out your thermostat in case it’s stuck open and making the engine run cold, do a few oil changes with brief runs in between to flush it out, then once it looks good consider running it hard for a short while to see if the water comes back.

Hopefully it’s just from running cold or lugging it. But could be a head gasket or something.

Since it’s a kicker motor I’d assume you have a low pitch prop, but verify it’s not a faster prop for a planing boat. That would lug the engine too.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 05-02-2021, 10:02 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetleap View Post
Attached a pic of my oil change from my 2014 Mercury pro kicker today. Don't know if it's water or gas in the oil but I know it's not good. Really not sure if I can smell gas in it or not. Hasn't been used since Thursday so not sure if the water would separate in that time frame. Any thoughts on cost to replace a head gasket while I'm posting?
water
Old 05-02-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Water.

Make sure that your rings are fully seated. If necessary go through the break in procedure again, making sure that you get several hours of wide open running with your engine. If you baby your engine and never open it up - it is quite possible that your rings will never seat and you will h ave "water in the oil" problem for as long as you own the motor.

Marine engines are designed to be run for hour after hour at a wide open throttle setting. Don't be afraid to push your throttle to the stop and keep it there.

Put a higher temp thermostat in your engine to keep the engine warmer to boil away any water that might get into the oil.

If you do a lot of low speed running, incorporate a 5 mile wide open run at the end of the day to get the motor nice and warm and boil off any condensation that might have been accumulated during hours of low speed running, if that is what you do with your motor.

Best wishes.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:25 PM
Keeper

I'll get it scheduled for service tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

Water and my guess head gasket.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:52 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoop52 View Post
Water and my guess head gasket.
Yeah pretty sure water as gas wouldn't end up that color mixed I don't think.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:41 AM
Wallhanger

I'll bet my E-TEC on H2O all the way.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra