Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
On Board Tools? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 AM
Minnow

Default On Board Tools?

Prepping my 2011 Tyee for the year and realized I have no tools onboard. Anybody have any tips of things they've found handy to have over the years? Talking more for fixing an issue in the boat than fishing.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2021, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Same tools that you keep in your truck or car to take care of problems.
Full set of sockets.
Pliers, crescent wrench. Spark plug socket and breaker bar, extensions, straight blade, phillips head screw drivers in sizes ranging from small to large.
Black tape, wire crimpers, wire cutters, wire splice devices.

A couple of spare props in different pitches.

A couple of pee buckets - one for the front and one for the back.

Multiple anchor ropes of 50 foot lengths with braided loops in the ends and anchor clevises to attach anchors or the next length of rope - if needed to extend the rope.

Band aids

Latex or rubber gloves to contain bleeding if stuck with a fish hook, gill plate and fillet knife.

Pair of paddles

Dock pole

Docking ropes - typically 15 foot each with a large loop braided into each end of the rope to drop over a dock post when tying up.

A couple of folding anchors of different weights to hold under different conditions.

A couple of drift socks to slow the boat and or to maintain boat direction in a storm.

(Note - if the weather is really bad and you are unable to make it to shelter - then ride out the storm by letting the boat drift with a drift sock out to maintain a boats exposure to the wind. If you don't fight the waves when disabled but simply drift with the waves, it is normally not a bad ride - as long as the waves are somewhat reasonable. )

-------------------------------------

Or -
Have a marine band radio with an 8 foot antenna to reach out for help in emergency situations.
Remember, many lakes and or areas do not have cell phone coverage.

--
If you want to go light. A pair of pliers, a crescent wrench, a spark plug wrench, a prop wrench, Duct tape, WD-40, flash light to give you light in the dark in case of electrical issues and or battery issues, along with spare batteries. By the way, since a light may not be used for a long time in a boat storage compartment, do not have any batteries in the flash light. Rather keep the batteries in a separate baggie to keep the batteries drive and - if they do age, leak and fail, they are not affecting the light.

Best wishes and enjoy.

P.S.
Over the years, I have had occasion to use virtually every item that is mentioned in the list above - either for myself and boat, or to help others who may be stranded somewhere.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:23 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffib32 View Post
Prepping my 2011 Tyee for the year and realized I have no tools onboard. Anybody have any tips of things they've found handy to have over the years? Talking more for fixing an issue in the boat than fishing.

Thanks in advance!
I have a small toolbox with sockets, pliers, a crescent wrench, a wire brush, multiple screwdrivers (common, Phillips, torx), a small can of penetrating oil, a plug gapper, electrical tape, zip ties, hose clamps, fuses, a terminal crimper and assorted terminals.It’s not perfect, but should (and has) got me off the water to more tools if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
(Cliff notes version)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:46 AM
Slot Fish

Yep...small set of tools is necessary just like in your truck.

Mostly screw drivers, pliers, channel locks, wire cutters, socket set mainly for the spark plug a good roll of electrical tape and tie wraps. Oh and don't forget the spare fuses.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Ti2's
Old 05-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Full set of sockets.
Pliers, crescent wrench. Spark plug socket and breaker bar, extensions, straight blade, phillips head screw drivers in sizes ranging from small to large.
Black tape, wire crimpers, wire cutters, wire splice devices.

A couple of spare props in different pitches.

A couple of pee buckets - one for the front and one for the back.

Multiple anchor ropes of 50 foot lengths with braided loops in the ends and anchor clevises to attach anchors or the next length of rope - if needed to extend the rope.

Band aids

Latex or rubber gloves to contain bleeding if stuck with a fish hook, gill plate and fillet knife.

Pair of paddles

Dock pole

Docking ropes - typically 15 foot each with a large loop braided into each end of the rope to drop over a dock post when tying up.

A couple of folding anchors of different weights to hold under different conditions.

A couple of drift socks to slow the boat and or to maintain boat direction in a storm.

(Note - if the weather is really bad and you are unable to make it to shelter - then ride out the storm by letting the boat drift with a drift sock out to maintain a boats exposure to the wind. If you don't fight the waves when disabled but simply drift with the waves, it is normally not a bad ride - as long as the waves are somewhat reasonable. )

-------------------------------------

Or -
Have a marine band radio with an 8 foot antenna to reach out for help in emergency situations.
Remember, many lakes and or areas do not have cell phone coverage.

--
If you want to go light. A pair of pliers, a crescent wrench, a spark plug wrench, a prop wrench, Duct tape, WD-40, flash light to give you light in the dark in case of electrical issues and or battery issues, along with spare batteries. By the way, since a light may not be used for a long time in a boat storage compartment, do not have any batteries in the flash light. Rather keep the batteries in a separate baggie to keep the batteries drive and - if they do age, leak and fail, they are not affecting the light.

Best wishes and enjoy.

P.S.
Over the years, I have had occasion to use virtually every item that is mentioned in the list above - either for myself and boat, or to help others who may be stranded somewhere.
Let's not forget the toolbox,,,,

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60FG10_AS02.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	326194  
Old 05-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

Good one HRG!!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:38 AM
Keeper

Bfh
Old 05-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Minnow

I would add a Battery Jump Pack in case your starter battery gets low or quits. The new units are compact and light weight. Won't go out without mine.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Minnow

Eyecatcher has almost everything I have. I include some rescue tape for electrical and hose leaks, red/black 16 gauge wire, various cotter pins, spare prop & wrench, assorted nuts and bolts, pocket knife, small LED flashlight, file & electrical tester. It all fits in an old, one tray, small tackle box - A first aid kit is also on board

Tags
fix , lund , tools