Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Increase of flying stinging insects? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2021, 09:43 AM
Wallhanger

Default Increase of flying stinging insects?

anyone else seeing an increase of these this year, is it the dryness & heat?

first we had wasp find a crack along our garage apron and the garage cinderblock
There were crawling in and downward, not behind the siding.
Took care of them by blocking it off.

We have a nesting pair of Cooper's hawks in one of or oaks
There are two young ones we been watching, they are now at the stage of bouncing around limb to limb testing them wings.

I was looking to find them in the tree and only saw the one, then I notice from a distance something in our flowing crab.
Walk up to it and there was a nest, and some very nasty not happy insects

These are what's called Bald Faced hornets, they don't have barbs on the stinger and they will sting as many time as they desire. Very territorial and aggressive.

Been in the same house since 1995 and really never had much of an issue other that ground wasp that our dogs have accidentally stepped on, not a good thing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210723_202007.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	530.4 KB
ID:	328198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210724_164537.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	522.4 KB
ID:	328200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210714_094600.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	539.6 KB
ID:	328202  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2021, 10:15 AM
Keeper

We had a super wet spring and early summer here in southeast Texas. Tons of mosquitoes and biting flies this year.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

Well thats one benefit we haven't had.
There has been little to no mosquitoes.
This part of Anoka county Mn has seen very little rain
It seem to just mis us.
Friday night I woke up about 2am and noticed it was lightning
Looked at the phone Radar Scope app and was happy to see a bunch of rain that appeared to be moving in, but also noticed storms developing right overhead.

Then went back to sleep, I normally get up between 4-4:30 am
I got up, went to take the dog for his peaceful quiet morning walk and check the rain gauge, darn, less than a 1/10th in there.
Looked at the radar loop, the storms developing overhead sucked the energy out and moved over western WI instead.
But yet just a bit north of us they had 3-4"
It's been like this all spring/summer here.

edit:
Just over a week ago, we had a good chance of rain, it arrived and we got a little spit
Then one of our local TV stations said Coon Rapids got something like 2.5" inches.
WRONG, maybe just to our west along the Mississippi river as a storm trained over that area and brooklyn center, out towards Maple Grove.

I have been following our rain fall very closely, back in may I started lawn renovations on our back yard. Since the month of early June, We have had about 1.75" of rain in total.
Our tiered pricing of public water is going to be off the charts
It's been difficult trying to stay ahead of the heat and drought.
I lost the battle in some areas of the yard already....

Last edited by cyber16; 07-25-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2021, 12:26 PM
Wallhanger

We've actually seen far fewer flying pollinators in general around our place this year. Bees, wasps, butterflies, moths, beetles... all unusually scarce, more so than we've ever seen before. Virtually no monarchs, and no monarch caterpillars at all in our large stands of milkweed. Don't know about the various kinds of non-flying insects, but I wouldn't be surprised if their numbers are down, too.

Hoping it's just a bad year for all of them weather-wise, but genuinely concerned that's not it. Entomologists have been warning us for quite some time now that insect populations are crashing all around us. We don't use any pesticides or herbicides on our property, but of course folks all around us (and pretty much everywhere else) certainly do.

Gerry
Old 07-25-2021, 02:14 PM
cutting egde

if it flies i kill it so not many things flying around here
Old 07-25-2021, 05:24 PM
Wallhanger

I think that they're coming from Wisconsin. We saw a herd of them crossing the St. Croix. Once we got 'em lassoed and hog tied, we cut their beaks off with side cutters and branded them. When we cut 'em loose, they headed back to packerville.

Mark
Old 07-25-2021, 06:23 PM
Wallhanger

It seems we have a lot of other insects this year as well, grasshoppers all over the place.
They are grasshoppers not cicadas
Not many monarchs, but several other types including these big yellow with dark pointy tail like wings.
Plenty of them white cabbage butterflies as well.

All these extra wasps and hornets are new to our yard this year, never like this is 26 years
Since I have been watering the lawn, all the newly hatched toads should eat well.
That's if they escape the mower, but I try not hitting them.

as a side note: I have a wimp of a dog, he is very fearful of toads, even the little ones

edit:
Just a thought, do you think it could be that I am watering so heavily whereas my neighbors not so much and they are being attracted?

Last edited by cyber16; 07-25-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber16 View Post
Just a thought, do you think it could be that I am watering so heavily whereas my neighbors not so much and they are being attracted?
If your watering has provided the insects with a buffet unmatched in your neighbors' yards, maybe so.

From the time she was little our GSP has always had a "Nobody tells ME what to do!" attitude about things that can hurt her (e.g. porcupines, toads, bees and wasps, thistle, barbed wire...), so with it being a wet year here and the anurans loving that, we recently did some aversion training with her e-collar to stop her from messing with toads. (Lots of dogs are poisoned by toads every year in the U.S., though very few die from it because most toad species here are not sufficiently toxic.) Now, just as happened when we aversion trained her for porcupines, she hunts toads more avidly than ever but when she finds them she just points them while keeping her distance. We call her off of one, then she finds another and locks up on point again, etc. It's funny to watch, but it makes taking her out for her bathroom break at bedtime - when all of the toads are out hopping everywhere - take forever!

Gerry
Old 07-25-2021, 11:45 PM
Keeper

Interesting to hear about the lack of butterflies and other pollinators. We had a really great monarch year here in SE Texas. Our property has plenty of wildflowers and we dont now or use pesticides or herbicides. We have a lot of native and European bees too. Not as many ground dwellers as precious years because of the wet spring and summer. Cicadas seem a bit fewer too. But plenty of hoppers and crickets. So on the whole, Id say were doing pretty well.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
she hunts toads more avidly than ever but when she finds them she just points them while keeping her distance. We call her off of one, then she finds another and locks up on point again, etc. It's funny to watch, but it makes taking her out for her bathroom break at bedtime - when all of the toads are out hopping everywhere - take forever!
Now that is as hilarious as hearing my bride letting out screeches when insects or other small critters get to close the her.