Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hyper rattles & mono - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-09-2021, 04:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default Hyper rattles & mono

I watch all of Tom Boleys videos. I bought some Hyper Rattles & caught some fish on them but lost as many as I caught even when I was trying to really baby them. The rod I use the most is an Avid medium fast.

Tom says to fish them with either a medium light rod or mono so you have more give in your setup. I didn't want to buy another rod/reel just for Hyper Rattles/Jigging Raps so I spooled a spare reel with mono. I haven't used mono on a spinning rod in years. I tried it the other day and it felt like I was fishing with a rubber band. I didn't hook any that day to see if it helped.

What has been your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2021, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

Mono or a soft rod do the same thing. They provide some give to your connection to the fish. Mono is stretchy line. Some more so than others. The lower the pound test (diameter related) the more stretch it has. If you end up with a soft rubber band feel you may not be getting the fish to get the hooks stuck well. There is a point where you can go too far. Either get heavier line or a stiffer pole. Bob
Old 08-09-2021, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

Or try using a fiberglass rod. Compared to graphite it is heavier and we use graphite a majority of the time; but once you set the hooks on a bait and the fight is on I am twice as likely to get the fish in the boat using a fiberglass rod. Something about the bend in an old fiberglass rod. It seems to not relax as quickly as a graphite rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Wallhanger

That is another way to go with braided line. Some forgiveness from the pole or the line accomplishes the same result. Not too soft or too hard, just right like goldy said. Bob
Old 08-09-2021, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

p.s.
Above all, be sure that the hook on your lure, jig or what ever is thumb sticking sharp.

Pull the hook across your thumbnail. If the hook is sharp, it will dig in and you will not be able to move the hook.

But, if the hook slides across your thumb nail, you need to get your hook sharpener and sharpen the hook.

If you happen to be using a treble hook, or multiple treble hooks check every single hook barb in the treble hook, or the multiple treble hooks. So, on a 3 hook lure you could have 9 hook points to sharpen per lure.

I like to sharpen the hook in a triangle shape, using a pocket diamond hook sharpener. When ever walleye fishing, I always have enough hook sharpeners for everyone in the boat, so that any time that they nick a rock, or hook a fish - check the hook. If the tip has been damaged from the rock or the fish- stop and sharpen the hook before putting it back into the water.

This is the preferred sharpener on my boat:

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-Sharp.../dp/B0001WP21Y

This is the method that I use to sharpen the hook:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hook...7l_QbR2L_YCA27

------------------------------------------
Remember, when the bite is tenative, when you feel a bite, drop the rod tip for a few seconds so that the fish can inhale the hook a bit further and then set the hook and start reeling. As you reel, keep the tip of the rod bent so that you are always keeping the fish hooked up and the line tight. Using this method, you will lose very few fish - no matter what line you are using.

DON'T let the line go slack. ALWAYS keep a bend in the rod to maintain pressure on the fish and the fish will be brought to the net a very very high % of the time.

Best wishes
Old 08-10-2021, 09:42 PM
Keeper

You’re using the 2.5” version, right? I think TB uses a 6’9” medium fast for ripping. I use a 6’6” medium fast with 10lb mono and I feel there is too much stretch with a 1oz lure. I’ll be switching over to braid with a flouro leader next time out and maybe use a 7’ medium fast for more tip flex. As for hook sharpness, Hyper Rattles have hella sharp hooks, my fingers and rod sleeves can attest to that.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:06 AM
Keeper

10 lb braid like Suffix 832, with a 12 lb floro leader like P-line. Medium rod, Fast action You'll never go back.
2016 Ram CCLB Cummins
All metal all the time.