Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fried Walleye and Cajun Seasoning Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2021, 03:50 PM
Keeper

Default Fried Walleye and Cajun Seasoning Question

Hi Guys,

Trying a few different recipes for frying walleye and I really like the way they cook up dredging in eggs and coating with crushed saltine crackers. I would like to add more flavor and just kick it up a bit so I am going to add some Cajun seasoning to the coating. However I donít want it too hot and am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how much Cajun seasoning to add to a cup of crushed saltine crackers or whatever coating you use.

Thanks,
Donscs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscs View Post
Hi Guys,

Trying a few different recipes for frying walleye and I really like the way they cook up dredging in eggs and coating with crushed saltine crackers. I would like to add more flavor and just kick it up a bit so I am going to add some Cajun seasoning to the coating. However I don’t want it too hot and am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how much Cajun seasoning to add to a cup of crushed saltine crackers or whatever coating you use.

Thanks,
Donscs
put a couple of sprinkles of this in with your cracker crumbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210812_155714_1628801949905.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	328618  
Old 08-12-2021, 04:12 PM
Slot Fish

I user noting more then a cast Iron skillet, butter, and Zataran's Blackened Seasoning.

Get the pan OT, *** the butter, make sure the butter is HOT, dang near smoking.

Season the fillet, to your liking, and place in skillet, season side down, season the top side, 60 to 90 seconds, flip and cook 60-90 seconds, and then remove, let cool and eat.

I love it with home made Blue Cheese Dressing.

OOE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Wallhanger

Most of the pre-made commercial cajun seasoning isn't hot. Some might be peppery (ie black pepper) not cayenne. Watch the salt content, many are way too salty. For a cup of saltines, I would go with 2 teaspoons of spice. I also add a teaspoon of mild hot sauce (tabasco/chyrstal/texas pete/tapatio) to the egg wash.

For those that like heat, Nashville-style hot is great on fish (like served at Bolton's). Here is a good hot recipe (I do cut the sugar by 2/3):

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/anat...sic-hot-quail/
Old 08-12-2021, 09:16 PM
Minnow

1 package Louisiana Seasoned fish fry coating.
1/2 Package Louisiana Cajun fish fry coating.

No egg wash needed.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:07 PM
Keeper

Shore Lunch cajun is pretty spicy, but does not overwhelm the good taste of fresh walleye. We fry it in peanut oil which is so hot that it takes minutes and the filets don't absorb much oil.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:17 AM
cutting egde

simply add your seasoning you choose and mix some into the cracker mix and stir up real good then taste and add more and stir and taste do this until you get it as spicy as you like then use it to coat your fish
Old 08-13-2021, 01:19 PM
Wallhanger

Tony Chachere's seasoning isn't very spicy. Use the same amount you'd use if it were plain salt and it's pretty mild. Maybe scale it back a bit more if you're using it with saltines or it may be too salty.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

You guys must run with a different bunch than me. I like the gentle taste of walleye. We have a couple Cajun wannabees, but use something (hot sauce) on top of the fish they get. When walleye fishing gets tough in the summer I use Louisiana fish fry products for bass and catfish. My crowd is getting older so that might be an influence. JMO Bob
Old 08-15-2021, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaEagle View Post
I user noting more then a cast Iron skillet, butter, and Zataran's Blackened Seasoning.

Get the pan OT, *** the butter, make sure the butter is HOT, dang near smoking.

Season the fillet, to your liking, and place in skillet, season side down, season the top side, 60 to 90 seconds, flip and cook 60-90 seconds, and then remove, let cool and eat.

I love it with home made Blue Cheese Dressing.

OOE
Now, that sounds really good. I'm going to try that one. I love blue cheese. Thanks for sharing.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com