Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
30-06 enough - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2021, 09:32 AM
ootwestguy

Default 30-06 enough

Deer season is getting close, and I have a black bear and elk tag. My dad gave me an older bolt action in 30-06. I am thinking about trading for one of the newer ones like 6.5 creedmore or something to have a modern gun. I don't want to be under gunned if a giant steps out a long ways away as I need some meat in the freezer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2021, 10:01 AM
Wallhanger

I have shot 3 bull elk with my 30.06 (180gr)

When I first went out west I thought I needed to be able to shoot a mile, but all my elk kills have been less than 200 yards. I feel fairly confident out to 350 with it on an elk (300 or less much more confident) and that's plenty fine for me. Your results may vary.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:53 AM
Minnow

The 30.06 will take any big game animal on the continent. The 6.5 is going to be on the light side and will only get you distance but will lack in all other factions. If you are inexperienced shoot as much as you can and take the .06. You won't be disappointed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

The 30-06 with a 180 gr controlled expansion bullet like a Nosler Partition will penetrate deeply with enough energy to harvest an elk, I would be surprised if any other caliber has taken more elk than a 30-06.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThe Woods View Post
The 30.06 will take any big game animal on the continent.
X2! For flatter shooting on deer size game, 150-165gr bullets, for bigger critters, 180-220gr, you certainly won't be under gunned with a 30-06. You can use a 300 win. Mag. or a .338 Ultra Mag, if the shot isn't in a place where it needs to be they won't get the job done either.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:41 PM
Slot Fish

As posted by others the 30-06 is plenty of rifle for any big game period! I hand load all of my shells. I suggest a bullet by Nosler,Barnes,and a few others. The Nosler partition in 180gr.the Barnes-×in the same weight is another great example.
Shot placement is the most important part of your hunt. Do Not let anyone rush your shot!! I have had guides try to do that to me and it makes your anxiety skyrocket, your already amped up as it . And with someone adamantly telling you to shoot will erode your confidence in the shot. Don't be afraid to not make the shot. If the guide gives you any crap about it, all you need do, is say that you were not comfortable with the shot and with trying to rush it only makes it worse. If your on your own, just relax, and remember to breathe.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:47 PM
Slot Fish

I meant to say Barnes x. But there A frame bullets on the market.
Expansion up front and solid in the back end. Go to Midway.com
I have total confidence in them.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

I took a Black Bear with a 30-06, 180 Grain Speer MagTip. Missed the recommended shoulder shot but the double lung shot created a full pass through with massive damage. Shot was at about 140 yards.
No experience with Elk, But if I did go to hunt Elk Id probably take my Remington. 300 SAUM with hand loaded Nosler 180 grain Partitions just because I have it
Live and die on this day......
Old 09-23-2021, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

No need to gun "up".

And for cryin out loud, if you do, don't trade in the .06!

There has arguably been more game, big included, taken with an .06 than all other calibers combined.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:35 PM
Minnow

If you need meat in the freezer, skip hunting and go to work so you can buy something that is actually edible. I love to hunt, just got back from antelope hunting and it was goose before that but most of that stuff is nasty.