Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hackers at it again - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default Hackers at it again

Watch your accounts somebody tried to use my card for some kind of electronics purchase. Have gotten in the habit of checking my account regularly with bank App and found a bogus charge still in the pending stage same amount tried on 3/12 and again on 3/15 so went to bank this am as soon as they opened and got it handled so will get a new card sometime next week. This is the second time for me in the last 4 years. Thank goodness for the App so I can watch it. Find the whole thing extremely irritating, no honesty in the world anymore. I use my card for groceries, gas, and I do some on line stuff didn't used to be a big fan but it is the way of the world now days and it is convenient but you need to be vigilant. I would recommend anyone who uses a card to download your banks app so you can access your account to watch for fraudulent activities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 12:20 PM
Keeper

Default Bank notifications

See if your bank allows you to set up email / text notifications. I get text messages whenever i use my debit or credit cards for over the amount i set.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Slot Fish

Check if this happening at the same place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfishpa View Post
See if your bank allows you to set up email / text notifications. I get text messages whenever i use my debit or credit cards for over the amount i set.
I had several Home Depot mail order charges on my card for under $10, so unless you set the amount for $5 you can still be getting ripped off. By the way, the credit card company did not hold me responsible for those charges.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakefish View Post
I had several Home Depot mail order charges on my card for under $10, so unless you set the amount for $5 you can still be getting ripped off. By the way, the credit card company did not hold me responsible for those charges.
That crook is a cheap date! For alerts unless you want to be notified for every purchase set It at a level that you don't normally charge stuff. I want to know that right away so I can call and stop payment pronto and maybe get another card on the way. Bob
Old 03-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Keeper

Default Alerts

Yes you need to set them at the right amount . I have my debit card set different than the credit card . Another nice feature is being able to tell them which states i`m travelling in so if it gets used elsewhere they will let me know.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

Those small charges are done to see if the account number is still good. If its multiple, The acct info was sold more than once.

If they have the card itself, or have made a new card with the stolen acct, you will see gas pump usage... either used to turn the pump on and not pumped, or just to grab $5 quick. Either way, if the card turns the pump on, the acct hasnt been closed yet and the card is good.

I check my accounts every day online.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

I have had multiple people attempt to steal my identity 3 times in 5 years. The first time Bank of America called me and asked if I had applied for a credit card in New York. Of course NOT! We stopped a couple of other banks from issuing credit cards when they sent me letters telling me the credit card had been processed and would be delivered to my house in 2 to 3 working days.

The second time the mail had not been delivered. When we went to the postal service they showed where I had filled out a change of address on line, which I hadn't but someone in the Bronx did. I pulled up my credit reports and there were 5 banks that had completed credit checks for new credit cards. I called each one and had them stopped.

The last time, over a year ago, the postal service called me about an on line change again and it all started over. After each one I filed police reports and U.S. Postal Service reports. I have locked down all my credit reports. I get notices if anyone has attempted to pull one. I donít pay anything for this service. I have included the web sites below.

https://usa.experian.com/ Experian to review account
experian.com/freeze Experian to freeze account
www.trustedID.com Equifax to lock credit report
www.trueidentity.com TransUnion to lock credit report

I check these reports at least once every 3 months just for my piece of mind.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

djcoop52

Renew your Illinois fishing lic. recently?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Wallhanger

Yes I did are they having problems?