Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bunk slides - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 02-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Keeper

Default Bunk slides

Anyone ever use the Caliber brand bunk slides? Before I go and replace my bunks with the Ultimate Bunk Boards I'm wondering if these are worth the $34? In the back of my head I'm thinking they're cheap for a reason but most of the reviews are pretty promising. I've tried silicone spray and car wax on my bunks in the past and it does an okay job but doesn't last very long and I unload my boat a lot. Anyone use a bunk slide on a heavy fiberglass boat and notice it helps with unloading and loading of your boat yet doesn't affect the gel coat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2019, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

Unloading should be no problem, just back in till it starts to float. When I pull my 18' glass boat out, I drive onto the trailer and usually am with in about 18 inchs of the crank. Then its very easy to crank up
Old 02-23-2019, 08:28 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
Unloading should be no problem, just back in till it starts to float. When I pull my 18' glass boat out, I drive onto the trailer and usually am with in about 18 inchs of the crank. Then its very easy to crank up
I fully understand that and about 75% of the time I do just that. However, there are a number of landings that this is physically impossible. Several of my friends have gone over to Ultimate Bunk Boards and they make a huge difference but aren't cheap so I thought I'd look into bunk slides first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

I have the ultimate bunk boards for about 5 years. You will not regret buying them. Between them and my two speed winch, loading is a non-event!

Marty
Old 03-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Keeper

The first Amazon review of the Caliber ones got my attention - use these instead of carpet wrapping the bunks ... I just may have to get myself some of these myself to lessen the friction.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternWashingtonBoater View Post
The first Amazon review of the Caliber ones got my attention - use these instead of carpet wrapping the bunks ... I just may have to get myself some of these myself to lessen the friction.
I broke down and ordered 2 packs of bunk sludes. I found them on sake for $21/pack so I figured I'd give them a shot and if I don't notice any difference then I'm only out $40. Now i just have to wait until the 2 feet of ice and snow melts.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Wallhanger

I have used these with great results. I wouldn't unstrap your boat before it hits the water. They make your boats slide off like you are on rollers if you are on a slant. It makes for easy winch cranking also.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/E-Z-...1.uts?slotId=0
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Keeper

I replaced my bunks and wrapped them with the Caliber wrap product. Bought the Caliber wrap from my trailer manufacturer, Trailmaster. It was a pretty easy install by stapling the wrap to the bunk lumber (per the manufacturers instructions), then re-bolting the wrapped bunks to the trailer. Was tired of replacing he carpet wrap, plus a whole lot less friction for loading/unloading the boat.

2008 ProV 1800 SE
150 Verado
Ulterra I-Pilot
Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2
Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Keeper

Flyer says to not use for painted surfaces. Does this mean that sliders should be used only with Fiberglass??
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Keeper

Heavy fiberglass boats don't slide well in general. They are just too heavy. I float my boat on and off my bunk trailer.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS