Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
"fair offer" on a boat.... - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Wallhanger

I think you need to figure out your own budget first. I try to determine the max I would be willing to pay. Anything below that is a bonus. Nothing grinds my gears more than someone who calls or emails me and is trying to negotiate before even seeing the item for sale. To many people the negotiation is more important than the deal itself. There is no shame in paying asking price for something of extraordinary quality. I often simply ask for the bottom line price. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
Nothing grinds my gears more than someone who calls or emails me and is trying to negotiate before even seeing the item for sale. To many people the negotiation is more important than the deal itself.
I love these type of buyers! When they start the lowballing via emails or phone calls my response to them is always the same and something to the effect:
"Are you serious? Do you really want to make me a firm offer to buy this without seeing it in person?"

About then they shut up and start asking serious questions.

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura
Old 04-29-2016, 06:52 AM
Minnow

Thunder, that's all well and fine if you live in a heavily populated area. But many of your potential buyers may be from rural areas and would have to drive several hours or more to see the boat. They're not going to do that unless they think the boat and it's condition are pretty close to what they're looking for, and the price is pretty close to what they think it's worth - from their perspective.

In my experience, aside from the odd screwball who probably even lowballs the clerk at Walmart, if you find most of the people calling you are questioning the price, then it's usually a pretty good indicator the price is too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaB View Post
Thunder, that's all well and fine if you live in a heavily populated area. But many of your potential buyers may be from rural areas and would have to drive several hours or more to see the boat. They're not going to do that unless they think the boat and it's condition are pretty close to what they're looking for, and the price is pretty close to what they think it's worth - from their perspective.

In my experience, aside from the odd screwball who probably even lowballs the clerk at Walmart, if you find most of the people calling you are questioning the price, then it's usually a pretty good indicator the price is too high.

Questioning the price and low balling a offer are two different things. IMO if you are interested in a product you should at least ask a couple of questions regarding the item. Then if still interested ask " if I bring cash do you have any room to negotiate?" Then go look at it and negotiate if you feel you have to. I loath the guys who call and say I'll give ya " x " without even looking at something.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

Everything is negotiable, and many times it isn't what the offer is that leads to a sales transaction, but when and how the offer takes place. I re-learned this lesson only recently. Two weeks ago my wife and I were out bike riding on a back road that runs along the river from town the the tail waters of Kinzua Dam; an area we've always coveted. Real estate along that road and on the river is tough to come by, and most times property is sold before it hits the market. Anyhow we rode by a neat little camp just as the owner was pounding in For Sale By Owner signs, and my wife and I looked at other and without a word immediately turned around to go meet with the owner. As it turned out I met with that owner 4 times over that weekend. It wasn't until that 4th meeting that we even discussed price, but by then I felt I knew the property, I knew him and his 40 year history at that property, and he knew me. So, when we finally started talking price we had a mutual comfort level. As it happened his minimum acceptable selling price was exactly the ceiling price my wife and I had discussed. Done deal. By Sunday noon we had a hand written and signed purchase agreement and he had a down payment. We love the property and we made the deal but both parties got what they wanted. Could I have done better? Maybe, and he could have as well, but we're happy as clams to have a camp and an acre of property along our beautiful river. After we had our deal done he told me the banker next door tried to low ball him, and he didn't care what that guy was going to offer had we not been in the mix, he wasn't selling to him. That guy failed to respect the seller. Now i realize this is a little different than buying a boat, but, it shows the importance of face to face discussion, and being straight forward and honest. If you can only afford 80% of the seller's asking price just tell him that.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Well done, I agree 100%.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleheader View Post
Everything is negotiable, and many times it isn't what the offer is that leads to a sales transaction, but when and how the offer takes place. I re-learned this lesson only recently. Two weeks ago my wife and I were out bike riding on a back road that runs along the river from town the the tail waters of Kinzua Dam; an area we've always coveted. Real estate along that road and on the river is tough to come by, and most times property is sold before it hits the market. Anyhow we rode by a neat little camp just as the owner was pounding in For Sale By Owner signs, and my wife and I looked at other and without a word immediately turned around to go meet with the owner. As it turned out I met with that owner 4 times over that weekend. It wasn't until that 4th meeting that we even discussed price, but by then I felt I knew the property, I knew him and his 40 year history at that property, and he knew me. So, when we finally started talking price we had a mutual comfort level. As it happened his minimum acceptable selling price was exactly the ceiling price my wife and I had discussed. Done deal. By Sunday noon we had a hand written and signed purchase agreement and he had a down payment. We love the property and we made the deal but both parties got what they wanted. Could I have done better? Maybe, and he could have as well, but we're happy as clams to have a camp and an acre of property along our beautiful river. After we had our deal done he told me the banker next door tried to low ball him, and he didn't care what that guy was going to offer had we not been in the mix, he wasn't selling to him. That guy failed to respect the seller. Now i realize this is a little different than buying a boat, but, it shows the importance of face to face discussion, and being straight forward and honest. If you can only afford 80% of the seller's asking price just tell him that.
I agree with you 100%. A few posts back someone posted they would offer 50% as a first offer. These type of offers just end up insulting the seller.
In the last few years I sold two used boats, both for more then $50,000, a RV, a nice sports car and a Ford truck. In every case the ad was posted on craigslist and in the ad I mentioned several times the prices were 100% FIRM. Every caller was also told the same thing, the price was FIRM. In every case some big shot drove a long way and then starting flashing money and making low ball offers. Then they got pizzed because I reminded them the price was FIRM. One guy even wanted me to reimburse him for fuel.
Every item sold for the FIRM price within a month. Price it fair and they will come.

When we sold our house in Colorado last year the relator called us up and presented us with an offer. The offer was $50,000 less than our listing. I didn't even present a counter. The house sold 2 weeks later.

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura

Last edited by Thunderjet; 04-29-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Golden Valley View Post
I realize there is not a correct answer to this question. All i am seeking is your opinion on the following scenario...

Boat is being listed at 15k, OBO.

What would YOU consider to be a fair offer, and what is considered a low ball offer?

I appreciate the input.
OK Mike in Golden Valley,

What happened? HRG