Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
8 ply bias tires? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Keeper

Default 8 ply bias tires?

Looking at new tires for my boat trailer and noticed that upgrading from 6 to 8ply is a minimal cost. Just wondering if I would notice any difference other than extra payload with the 8 ply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

You would likely have less flexing and could get more tread wear from the tires.

REW
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Wallhanger

I went up a grade in tires, and replaced mine with the Maxxis D rated tires. I like having the higher pressure in the tires and feel like it tows a bit better.

Check your rims to be sure you can support the tire pressure needed to get the increased firmness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at going with an aluminum rim and tire package already set up. The difference in price was only $10 a tire but allows upwards of 200 #'s of increased payload per tire which is probably good as I am looking at getting a kicker this year.
Did you go radial or bias ply?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Keeper

8 ply bias tires would ride terrible IMHO...stiff, no flex at all...radials are the way to go...bias would wear fast, little flex would cause tread to scrub too much...also get the biggest size that will fit under you fenders w/enough clearance for bouncing,less rpm's will get you a tire that will last longer and carry more RFHT bill
Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 PM
4Jaw

Simple answer for you.

Radials run cooler on the highway and are superior for long distance hauling in their load range properly inflated. They also have a nicer ride due to the more flexible sidewall.

Bias ply tires have stiffer sidewalls and ride more harshly and tend to have a more robust carcass but this can be a benefit on rough roads and high sidewinds where rough treatment and heavy loads may damage a less durable side wall.

Personally I like bias ply tires for trailers just for the superior sidewall strength on gravel roads where cut resistance is more important than heat durability, if I lived in a warmer climate my choice might swing the other way. My Canadian fishing holes are off the beaten path and the roads are typically atrocious and since switching to bias ply tires in 8 ply I don't have the sidewall cut issue I used to have with radials...granite gravel is very sharp and Northern Ontario/Manitoba roads are tough on tires. I also prefer the stiffer sidewalls for sway resistance, immediately noticeable when you make the switch.

Inflation pressure is important on any tire but especially important on a bias ply on the highway, I've never had an issue with tread wear with them as bias ply tires tend to have harder rubber compounds compared to radials...tread patterns seem to be more open as well which seems to toss fewer rocks and better tracking in snow which might not be an issue for most.

If you want to improve the ride for a trailer you never ride in I would suggest teflon sliders or buttons on your trailer springs over a more flexible sidewall, works way better anyway. I think radial tires are a waste of money for a trailer but I know I am a minority, I say look at the guys who do millions of miles a year (truckers) and see what they run on their trailers for proof of efficacy...they run bias plys....good enough for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveeyes View Post
8 ply bias tires would ride terrible IMHO...stiff, no flex at all...radials are the way to go...bias would wear fast, little flex would cause tread to scrub too much...also get the biggest size that will fit under you fenders w/enough clearance for bouncing,less rpm's will get you a tire that will last longer and carry more RFHT bill
x2.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Keeper

Went with LRD radials from RecStuff.com Very good price with free delivery. Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Keeper

Default Tires

Go with 10 ply and forget it. Steel belted radials are the way to go. 80 lbs pressure, cooler running, and better stability. IMHO.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL66 View Post
Went with LRD radials from RecStuff.com Very good price with free delivery. Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
How did you get free shipping?