Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pellet grils - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Pellet grils

Looking to replace my old gas grill.Thought I might go for a new pellet grill. Has anybody used one or has one they are using? What brands have been liked or disliked? Looking for any input before buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Wallhanger

I'm also interested in one and just looked at a Traeger.
Hit us up
Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Slot Fish

Have had traeger for 3 years. Prior to that charcoal weber (which I still use once in awhile). I think its great. Multi function from long slow smoke to over 400 degrees at high setting, going by its gauge. It does not seer quite like charcoal (with its flare ups and such) but it does pretty well. Takes longer for things from start to finish with warm up time but that what beer is for :-). Meat comes out very moist and taste is fantastic. I am sold on it for sure.

I do clean out fire pot regularly (shop vac) and avoid dumping a bunch of the dust from bottom of pellet bag into hopper so it does not get packed into auger mechanism. Other than that no maintenance on ours. There grate is pretreated so don't want to scrub it with wire brush, and don't need to. Its a bit spendy but a nice heavy duty unit.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I have had a treager for over 10 years now and really enjoy it. I have other smokers too, and they all have their pluses and minus's.

Pellet grills are consistant, easy to use, easy to keep clean and very convenient. Have done everything from frozen pizza's to biscuits to briskets.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

Bought a Pit Bros pellet grill at Menards last August $ 400 on sale normal price is $450, I would buy one again so far no problems. Have. Used about 8 bags of pallets.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

Don't want to hijack your thread RonandReel, But maybe it will help us both out.

Anyone have a Green Mountain grill ?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Keeper

I have a Green Mountain grill and like it very much. It can be set at 5 degree increments from 150-525 degree and it holds it within 5 degrees of the set temperature, the wind does have an effect on temp control but that will be the case on all pellet grills i have seen. Therefore it can be used for virtually any need.
wmd
Old 04-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmd View Post
I have a Green Mountain grill and like it very much. It can be set at 5 degree increments from 150-525 degree and it holds it within 5 degrees of the set temperature, the wind does have an effect on temp control but that will be the case on all pellet grills i have seen. Therefore it can be used for virtually any need.
wmd

For windy and cold days, we just toss a welding blanket over the top and it helps a lot. Did ribs at 10 below this winter for a playoff game.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Minnow

I have the REC TEC. It does a great job with low and slow cooking (pork butt, brisket, ribs, chicken) as well as pizza and smoked Mac and cheese. I still use the gas grill for steaks, burgers, and brats. I think you need one of each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Keeper

Default Love my Green Mountain Grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinnut 3446 View Post
Don't want to hijack your thread RonandReel, But maybe it will help us both out.

Anyone have a Green Mountain grill ?
I use my Daniel Boone all winter long. We no longer go out to Famous Daves. And no one ever orders ribs because they never compare. Just last night I smoked pork chops.

Be careful though. Not much tending to do with the pellet grills, unlike the stick smokers. A lot more time to do other stuff instead of babysitting the temp. you will get put to work because no need to tend the smoker.