Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova I-pilot at boat dock!!!!!!!!!!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-07-2013, 02:48 PM
blurap

Exclamation Terrova I-pilot at boat dock!!!!!!!!!!!

Today saw a guy by himself at boat ramp launch his boat put down terrova I-pilot run boat a little ways from dock with remote and hit spot lock then went and parked his truck came back to dock released spot lock and steered boat to dock got in raised terrova and took off. Anyone else do this??? And does anyone know range of remote? ( he was approx. 15ft from dock when he hit spot lock.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
wermac

Certainly seems possible, but I'd still think that tying it off with a rope would be easier.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Slot Fish

I am not sure of the max range, but I know they work at 100'. While a cool idea, I am not sure I'd want my expensive boat on autopilot without me in there. Too many things could go wrong.
MinnKota Terrova 101
Humminbird 1198c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Keeper

Default i-pilot

Maybe on a super calm morning? as the last post stated to much to go wrong!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wermac View Post
Certainly seems possible, but I'd still think that tying it off with a rope would be easier.
No kidding, no reason to show off. Bound to fail sooner or later.
Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 w/co-pilot
Scotty 1101 Depthmaster electric downriggers
Humminbird 788CI Combo
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Slot Fish

I do it often when I'm by myself. My home lake has a very busy boat landing, so when I'm by myself, it's the easiest way to get in and out without tying up dock space for too long. I drive up to the dock, hope out, drive the boat 20 yards away or so, hang the remote on a dock post and go get the truck. Once the trailer is in the water, I drive the boat back to the dock via remote and hope in to load the boat.

There are often times when the landing is full of inconsiderate people and this is the only way I can get unloaded. Boats with multiple people pull pull up to the end of an already occupied dock (both sides) and drop someone off to get the truck. The line for loading / unloading ends up being having your truck and trailer in line, not at what point you got to the landing with your boat. It's hard to get the truck and tralier in line when you're the only one with the boat.....
Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurap View Post
Today saw a guy by himself at boat ramp launch his boat put down terrova I-pilot run boat a little ways from dock with remote and hit spot lock then went and parked his truck came back to dock released spot lock and steered boat to dock got in raised terrova and took off. Anyone else do this??? And does anyone know range of remote? ( he was approx. 15ft from dock when he hit spot lock.)
I have a buddy that does it...It makes for a really cool picture, your boat out on the water w/o a person in it.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Not that brave! Once had a stiff wind from the south blowing water over the transom at the dock. Tied a long lead onto the bow eye, and then used the I-Pilot to turn the boat around, bow into the wind.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Slot Fish

do it all the time. did a test one day and walked down the driveway with the remote and a pair of binoculars and got about 1/4 of a kilometer (sorry I'm Canadian) before it wouldn't turn the prop on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110925-00053.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	26905  
Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM
blurap

Talking spot lock?

Correct me if i am wrong but doesn't spot lock adjust speed of motor in case a gust of wind trys to blow boat off the spot? Doing this may prevent a bad case of dock rash for your boat if loading and unloading by yourself. But I don't know if i would trust it on a really windy day.

Another question I just got my i pilot and got two remotes, my friend also has a Ipilot on his boat and sometimes we fish close together was wondering if i could take my spare remote and prgram it to his motor so I could mess with him when catching is slow, may make for a pretty entertaining day on water!!!!!