Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Time to let my little buddy go... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 11:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default Time to let my little buddy go...

A few of you may remember a thread I started over a couple of years ago about managing my dog's diabetes. I updated it a couple times, when he was doing really well.

He turned 12 on Wednesday last week. But over weekend he developed several sores on his body that are scabbing and oozing, and I believe they are painful. He has been limping more and more lately due to his arthritis. And he's starting to pee in the house more regularly, instead of the occasional accident. It it time to let him go... tomorrow evening. He's still has some dignity... and I owe it to him to leave with that, I think. I am sad, and it is hard, but I know it's the right thing to do.

Thanks to all who offered support and helpful advice. These last two years with him were pretty good and I am grateful.

Derwood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 02:19 AM
Wallhanger

Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-18-2019, 03:27 AM
Keeper

Sorry to hear Derwood. It's a difficult walk. I am glad you had great times together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 05:34 AM
Wallhanger

Not easy to do, but you are doing the right thing.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 AM
Wallhanger

I've been here....twice. It's a hard thing to do. Take care and know that you are doing the best thing.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Over the years we have had to put several of our dogs down for age and health related issues. When the time comes and cannot it be denied, please hold your little buddy on your lap as the Vet does the injection. There is nothing wrong with crying either.

We were fortunate in that one of my fishing buddies is a Vet and he came to our house for us. Several times I've sat on the tailgate of my truck with our dog(s) and held them close, on my lap, petting and talking to them. In their familiar settings. I tear up just thinking about it. It was excruciating for us, but the right thing to do for our beloved companions.

I tell myself that this is how I wish it could be done for me when it's my turn to move on. There was little to no pain involved for them. So just give them those last comforting hugs and reassurance. Try not to show them your anxiety, be comforting and "normal" for them.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 06-18-2019, 08:41 AM
Keeper

These are always tough threads for me to read.. Like many of you I just can not imagine life without our best buddies. You gave your pup a great life and I am sure you really appreciate the last two years.. Just remember all the great times together and know you are doing the right thing for your buddy.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Wallhanger

Sad time indeed. But the pleasure IS worth the pain.

Comfort him and stay in the room until the end. You know he would be there for you.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Old 06-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

So sorry. I had to put my Black Lab, “Sport”, down 7 years ago and it still saddens me.......
Thoughts and Prayers sent your way.....

My now four year old “Maggie” is a great dog and companion but she will never fill the void Sport left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	632AEE9B-1765-408E-AA76-870D83C8F5F5.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	311038   Click image for larger version

Name:	79092207-8A9E-4ACE-883F-37F58F891353.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	311042  
Attached Images