Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury IAC Module Recall - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-15-2021, 04:50 PM
Minnow

Default Mercury IAC Module Recall

Thought I'd create a separate thread for this growing issue. For those waiting for new boats with Mercury 65-150hp motors, there is a recall for the IAC module if your Serial Number is identified as one of the affected motors. Also, please refrain from any disparaging comments regarding Mercury motors. Nobody cares.

For Reference......

65-115hp motors; 3B034165 to 3B083284
150hp motors; 3B021624 to 3B066604

I found out the other day that my 150 is one of the affected engines and after they unwrapped the boat today and checked the date code it was confirmed. My Dealer is Bee's Sports in St. John's Michigan. They told me they already ordered a bunch of new modules a week ago but there is no timeline on when they will arrive. I have opted to have them keep the boat until the new module comes in. Just an update on my situation for anyone else who might be in the same boat (pun intended).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Affected Mercs.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	325686  

Last edited by trapin; 04-15-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2021, 05:01 PM
Wallhanger

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the part comes in Very Soon
Old 04-15-2021, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Trap,
Over the years, I have changed a few IAC control units on vehicles.

Essentially, they are a variable value potentiometer. The changing resistance value speaks to the computer and causes the engine to come back to idle when the throttle is pulled back to idle.

Not good - if, as the bulletin says - that one gets an instance where the engine does not idle down when the throttle comes back.

If so, be ready to turn off the ignition key or pull the emergency stop lanyard to shut down the engine and prevent a run away situation.

But, as you have said - good idea to wait for the boat until the new unit has been installed into the engine.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2021, 07:18 PM
Minnow

REW,
I have heard from a few people who took their new boats out and discovered the problem that it makes the motor idle at like 2000rpm. I would be afraid to put the motor in gear and blow something up. I inquired about replacing the IAC myself since I heard they're not that hard to replace but my Dealer said it could be a warranty issue if anything went wrong so it was best to have the shop do it. I'm really bummed out that I can't take the boat home since I've been waiting since November 9th, but I'm driving out there on Saturday morning to finalize the sale, sign papers, and then he's going to take me to the shop so I can go check it out. That'll tide me over....for a little while. LOL!
Old 04-15-2021, 07:50 PM
Wallhanger

I know of one guy who just got his new Nitro. Yep bad IAC. BPS replaced it, and guess what- yep the replacement was defective too. Now he's waiting...and making payments on his boat sitting at BPS.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:56 PM
Minnow

I’m in the exact same boat. New boat came in, verified the 150 had a bad IAC and choose to leave it at the dealer until fixed. 5/15 was the initial ETA given, no clue if that’s valid or not.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:03 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

I was just reading a customer at Rapid Marine received a call that his part arrived today. Maybe they are starting to ship?
Old 04-16-2021, 04:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapin View Post
REW,
I have heard from a few people who took their new boats out and discovered the problem that it makes the motor idle at like 2000rpm. I would be afraid to put the motor in gear and blow something up. I inquired about replacing the IAC myself since I heard they're not that hard to replace but my Dealer said it could be a warranty issue if anything went wrong so it was best to have the shop do it. I'm really bummed out that I can't take the boat home since I've been waiting since November 9th, but I'm driving out there on Saturday morning to finalize the sale, sign papers, and then he's going to take me to the shop so I can go check it out. That'll tide me over....for a little while. LOL!
I would not finalize the deal until the boat is completely ready for the water.........this puts more pressure on the dealer to Get 'R Done when the part finally comes in AND more importantly it extends your warranty further into the future. It could be 2 months or more before you actually take delivery, why would you want your warranty clock start ticking now instead of the day you actually take the boat home.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 04-16-2021, 05:11 AM
Wallhanger

That is a huge bummer. If it were a new boat purchase and I hadn't signed the papers yet, I'd be asking about swapping motors. I expect you'd get dinged a bit as it would change the package, but at least you'd have a boat. Maybe other sizes and brands are hard to obtain right now too?

I've got a new boat that is supposed to ship next week with a Merc 200. I'm crossing my fingers that the issue isn't found in the larger motors. I found one post that says it is happening in those as well.

Last edited by Timmer92; 04-16-2021 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:48 AM
Wallhanger

I have to agree with Bobby W-I wouldn't sign until the boat is ready. That is if it is already rigged. If they were not going to start any rigging until you signed-I then would sign so it would be ready to go soon as the part comes in rather than waiting another couple of weeks.
Walteye