Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Starcraft Aluminum Boats - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Minnow

Default Starcraft Aluminum Boats

Long time reader, first time poster! This board is a great source of information.

I have a boat dealer very close to my house (less than 10mins) that deals with Starcraft boats and Suzuki outboards. Having no experience with either brand I did a search through the archives. I was impressed with the great things people had to say about Suzuki motors, so I feel confident with that part. But I didn't find that much info on Starcraft boats, their website states "since 1903" (106 years has to say something, I would think) and they use a double rivet process on their aluminum boats and there is a lifetime warranty. I was just curious to hear from people that have owned a Starcraft what they thought of them. I'm not trying to compare them to a Lund, just if they are a quality built boat or not.

Rae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Well imho there is no way you can go wrong with a Starcraft. I have a 17' C Star aluminum with a 125 Merc. on it. I have had it 6 years and it has been a joy to own and fish from. I have not had any issues with it at all. I'd buy another Starcraft without even thinking twice about it. Good luck with whatever you end up with.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Wallhanger

They have been around for 106 yrs and havnt made a name for themselves like Lund, alumacraft, ranger, ect.... Not sure why becasue they look decent, but the fact that they have been around that long a there isnt much to say about them may be crossing my mind quite often... Not bashing, just making a statement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Wallhanger

i think starcraft has gone thru several buy-outs and the maker of sylvan today was starcraft in the past...i may be mistaken but i thought this occurred back in the 80's or so.....again, i may be wrong on this ...steve
Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Wallhanger

The way I would look at is like this..........how many 'older' brands do you see out there. I see a ton of old Lunds out there. I also see lots of Starcraft running around in the waters I fish and boat. Further I have not heard of too many complaints from owners on any blogs or boating boards I read. In other words........they appear to be a real solid brand.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Happy owner of a Fishmaster 196 since April 2004. Neither the Boat or Motors have been back to the shop for work of any kind ( Mercs 115 & 9.9 4strks). Could have purchased any boat in this class that I wanted. As I fish primarily Lake Erie, I wanted the fishing room and depth that this boat offered.

My one observation ( ok *****) was the small things that LUND seems to get right. If your going to build great hull, wood free construction ect....put some quality hardware on it. I have replaced all the nylon stuff over the years with stainless. Starcraft apparently gets it today as the new 196 and 2050 have these little upgrades that were anoying to me in the past.

It's a GREAT Lake Erie trailerable boat and plan on having it a long time.

Good Luck.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Default I've owned 3 Starcrafts and find them excellent

I'm in the Buffalo, NY area and both the Starcraft and Lund lines are handled by respected dealers that have been around for a long time. In general, I see a lot more Starcrafts than Lunds around here, and the word among unbiased users is that the Starcrafts tend to ride a bit smoother in heavy waves, but that they tend to rock a bit more when still fishing or trolling since they typically have more deadrise, the amount of vee in the hull, than the Lunds. Note that the amount of deadrise in the Starcrafts varies a lot with the different models so you can easily see from the specs which will have the deeper vee. I currently run a Starcraft 176 Superfisherman, '02 model, 17 degree vee, bought new, and I've had zero problems- no stress cracks, no leaks, no loose hardware- nothing at all has shown a problem. I still see my former 1981 16 ft Starcraft now and then. It's on owner number 3- who was mad that owner number 2 beat him out when I sold it, and pestered owner number 2 until he sold it to him. It's now working Lake Erie and has been getting the heck beat out of it - and still has no leaks, no loose rivets, and only 2 small (1/4 inch) stress cracks in the seat attachment flanges. I know of one poster here who had a problem with his Starcraft leaning a bit to one side at speeds in the 36 mph range. The dealer and factory worked with him until the problem was fixed- which I believe included essentially replacing the hull. If I recall correctly he bought the boat used, yet Starcraft still worked on the boat until he was satisfied.
Doug
Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

I don't own a Starcraft but I note that of all the brands discussed in this forum, it seems that Starcraft is among the least problem ridden and with fewest complaints of the boat builders. If I were buying now I would take a serious look at their hulls with 19 degrees deadrise. That is the most deadrise of the sheet aluminum genre boat builders.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

You cannot go wrong with Starcraft. I had an '83 fishmaster and in '85 upgraded to the 18' w/115 and had it for 15 years. Another friend bought a fishmaster shortly after my 1st purchase and he still has it with no problems. All of our boats have seen harsh use in travel, waters and storage in our balmy WI winters.

The 83 I sold to a friend who later sold it and he periodically gets thank you notes from the person he sold it to!!!
The '85 had only one problem. I replaced the floor after 11 or 12 years. The shop said that because I left it in water and covered that condensation was the primary culprit.

I no longer have a Starcraft but only because I chose dealer loyalty over brand loyalty. Tough finding a really good dealer.

Starcraft has been imitated alot over the years by such folk as Blue Fin, Sylvan, etc. Not sure of ownership lineage. Beyond boats the name appears on campers, motorhomes and other recreational products. I doubt they are going to go away any time soon.

The new products sure look nice but cannot atest to performance.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Have never owned one but one of my fishing buddies owned a Superfisherman for years. He fishes year round and he somewhat abuses equipment in that if it isn't broke it gets no attention. His boat always looked like a disaster, but it took the punishement. He switched to a bass boat when he started fishing local bass tourneys with his daughter but I know he regretted that move as the Superfisherman was still very solid. I think the reason you haven't heard more of them is simply because that's the way they preferred to operate; with a low advertising budget. I also think their forte has always been the big water style boats. If that's what you're looking for I wouldn't hesitate.