Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best on-board charger + trolling motor battery... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

Default Best on-board charger + trolling motor battery...

I run my trolling motor hard and long every day. What are the best on-board charger and trolling motor battery that money will buy? Not pleased with daily performance and life of what I have now and have had in the past. They will be for a 617 Ranger/150 Opti/3 batteries. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrrrRon View Post
I run my trolling motor hard and long every day. What are the best on-board charger and trolling motor battery that money will buy? Not pleased with daily performance and life of what I have now and have had in the past. They will be for a 617 Ranger/150 Opti/3 batteries. Thanks.

I ran a Deka 225 RC DeepCycle for my MAxxum. I have ran it hard (maybe not as hard as you are talking about) for the entire day and it get down to 25% left. I charged it for 12 hours with my MK315 and its all good to go next day. I guess the brand don't really matter, its the RC mins,.......at least what I was told.

Cheap 2 cents
Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up Batteries and chargers

I'm very happy with the combo of Minnkota chargers and Sears Platinum Diehards. I have two Minnkota chargers on my boat and five series 31 Platinum Diehards. I fish a lot of trolling motor only lakes that are pretty big, so I run purely on electric power all day long at times. I always have plenty of juice, and the batteries re-charge very quickly.

The Minnkota chargers run cool and silent too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Minnow

Odyssey Trolling Thunder PC2150 31m and the matching charger - unbelievable performance if you can afford it.
www.odysseyfactory.com
Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

as far as chargers go, i don't think you can find better than Guest or Dual Pro. I have both and have been very pleased with both. I would spend the extra $50 and get one of these if i was in the market. I have heard good things about minn kota chargers but they are so BIG. The dual bank i looked at probably wouldn't even fit in my storage area. I have no idea why they are so **** large and heavy.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I had a DualPro 5x2 (5amp by 2 bank) for 10 years and was very pleased. I recently upgraded from a 12v trolling motor to a 24v Terrova and went with the DualPro 15x3 PS3 model.

I bought my new charger from these guys:

http://www.chargingchargers.com/mari...-chargers.html

I also bought the extension lead and added the cranking battery to charger.

Their prices were way below Cabelas.

My charger was shipped directly from Pro Charging Systems (formerly CSI):

http://www.dualpro.com/

I could not be more pleased with my new charger.

More amps are better because you are charged up quicker.

"Every time I put my line in the water I said a Hail Mary, and every time I said a Hail Mary I caught a fish": Fredo Corleone
Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Slot Fish

The best batteries money can buy? Trojan all the way, for trolling batteries I wouldn't go AGM, go traditional as they better handle the charge / discharge cycles better.

To my knowledge the SCS225 leads the pack in spec http://www.trojanbattery.com

I have these in my boat and they are incredible, used to have interstates and the trojans are better at year 4 then the interstates where when new.

For a charger, I've had guest's, dualpro branded and factory installed ranger chargers (dualpro also I believe). They all seem to be pretty decent.

One thing you will notice of you go with large batteries like the SCS225 is that the onboard charger isn't always able to fully charge the batteries overnight. If you are slaming waves with the trolling motor all day don't plan at being all green at 7am the next morning
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Keeper

Location: On the "Back Fourty"; just 1/2 mile outside Poe-Dunk, Iowa; turn west at Coot's on Deer Lick Trace.
Default My vote is Sears Platinum Diehards

I went the Sears Platinum AGM with Dual Pro charger.

Quote:
for trolling batteries I wouldn't go AGM, go traditional as they better handle the charge / discharge cycles better.
Not sure I would agree with this at all but to each their own opinion.

And my opinion is.......AGM's for trolling batts !

The Sears Platts are a rebranded Odyssey and REQUIRE a charger that does not go over 15 volts in an equalization mode..

If you're charging an AGM batt you will want to avoid a charger with an equaliztion mode.

Equalization mode will "gently" boil your batt to break up sulfation and in so doing you'll loose a little water due to out gassing.

In an AGM that will cause the relief valves to open as it gasses and lose a little electrolyte.

Since it is a sealed batt you can't replace the loss and over time will lose performance and lead to batt failure.

Don't equalize an AGM.

Call Dual Pro and they will send you a charger tailored to your batts specific charge profile.

Switch to different batts ? They can repair, change charge profile or whatever if needed on their chargers.

I've found them to be very customer service oriented.

And no I don't work for them (I'm a farmer) I just think they have an excellent product that was served me well over the years.

W.W. in Iowa
Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Slot Fish

W.W., good post
I did however make my statement regarding AGM in large part for the reason you stated, as well as the capacity concern.

First reason
(in my experience) when AGM's are significantly discharged the charging process causes a bit of gassing and they lose a bit of electrolyte. I've noticed this happening even during the absorption stage. This results in reduced capacity as time goes on. In the traditional battery the same thing happens but you are able to replenish with water which greatly reduces the dimishing capacity issue (it still happens only slower).

Second reason
AGM's have lower capacity (basing the reduced capacity claim by complaring various AGM's (Odyssey, Optima, Sears) to a SCS225; Sears Plat at 205 vs. 225 for Trojan for example)

That is how I landed my opinion as to why the Trojan wet and not AGM style marine batteries are the best money can buy regarding daily performance and life (original question in post).

If we were talking about dropping a battery in an offroad rig I'm all in the AGM camp. But in a fishing boat for serious trolling I'll stay wet.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I think that the best on board charger is none of the above.
Why spend several hundred dollars for a charger for your boat that gets wet, gets banged around and needs frequent replacement when a common 10 am timed charger will work just fine.

I think that the best battery is the cheapest one that gives long life. No need for high buck batteries that still need to be replaced at about the same rate as the much less expensive batteries.

Good luck
REW