Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trip Report - Kearns Lake with Thousand Lakes Outposts - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Trip Report - Kearns Lake with Thousand Lakes Outposts

We’ve been doing fly-in housekeeping outpost (private lake) trips for much longer than walleyecentral has been around and if you’ve read any on my annual reports for the last 10 years you know we’ve have some truly excellent trips – but this year’s trip to Kearns Lake with Thousand Lakes Outposts (flying out of Armstrong) from June 25 to July 5 was THE best ever – and that’s really saying something.

The lake is a true trophy walleye AND true trophy pike lake and a structure fisherman’s paradise. Although our largest pike was “only” 41 inches (with at least 4 others over 38), the group before us was proudly showing photos of their 48 incher!! This group, like us, also caught or had on many, many pike in the 3ft range. Pretty amazing for such a small lake (4-5 miles by 1-2 miles). Pike were all over the lake and made heavy leaders a must.

The walleye were equally jumbo – our group’s biggest was 27.5 and there were at least 4 others over 25 (which we referred to a “flat-top class walleyes”), 15 to 20 in the “battleship class” (23 to 25 inches), at least 30 to 35 in the “cruiser class” (21 to 23) and way too many to count in the “destroyer class” (19 to 21 inches). The group before us had a 29 incher as the maximum and uncounted ones in the cruiser to battleship class. We referred to one island as Cruiser Class Island for obvious reasons.

And these large maximums were well off the lake records of a 32inch walleye and a 52 inch pike.

For structure, there all kinds of feeding shelves and submerged rock piles that drop sharply into deep water and islands/points with shoals that protrude well into the lake. Walleye and pike were all over these structures. The “sweet spot” was about 12 ft of water but we caught them from 4 ft to 30 ft. There’s minimal flowing water – the Grew River would be considered a creek here in PA – but even these areas produced excellent – but smaller - fish.

Now for the cabin – which we referred to as the Taj Mahal of Outpost Cabins. In addition to the “expected” amenities (hot/cold running water, enclosed/lighted fish house, well equipped kitchen, solar electric, 4 bedrooms, etc.), this place had:
- Flat screen HDTV with Dish Network
- DVD player with large movie selection
- Three very comfortable lounge chairs (aka: sleeping chairs!)
- Unlimited use of a satellite phone (with a catch – it only works when a satellite is overhead – maybe 10-15 minutes every two hours)
- Indoor toilet, shower and complete two sink bathroom
- The cabin sits up on a cleared ridge, about 25 ft above the lake and mosquitoes were practically non-existent – we burned a coil maybe twice only when we forget to close the sliding glass door
- Filtered well water – drink COLD, clean water right out of the tap
- A view of the lake you have to see to believe
- A very large Amish made, totally stainless steel propane fridge that works almost like a “real” fridge
- A gas powered generator to power an electric fridge, a chest freezer, a microwave oven!! AND an electric ice maker that makes a try of ice in 7 minutes!! (Who ever heard of microwave popcorn in a private lake, outpost cabin?)
- A 12volt DC connection in the fish house for an electric fillet knife
OK – can anyone beat all of this stuff???

One other observation: we caught many, many walleye in the 13 to 15 inch range and also many, many walleye in the 19 to 21 inch “destroyer class” range – but remarkable few in the “eater range” (16 to 17.5 inches). I would say that our walleyes averaged a very respectable 17 inches but this average included very few actual 17 inchers. I think the ethic of releasing the larger ones and only taking the “eating range” fish is showing clearly here. It’s also clear that the future looks excellent for this lake.

Sorry for the lengthily report - but prior to the trip I did a WC search found NO other info on this lake – so here’s the first – admittedly detailed - report.

Any question? Feel free to ask.

Phish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Keeper

Did you wear a Browns jersey on any of the days?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Default no way

no - but i did have some brown underpants after seeing some of the fish we got!

best of luck up at rickter.

phish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Wallhanger

That sounds incredible, thanks for taking the time to share your experience!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Nice trip- The cabin sounds nicer than my house for sure. I will add to my wish lsit for future trips.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Keeper

Post some Pics Phish..sounds awesome!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Keeper

I am curious, where are Thousand Lakes Outpost lakes located ? I looked at their website but did not see a map of where they are . I am familiar with many, many lakes above Armstrong with all the fly-ins and canoe trips I have done from there . Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Default south of armstrong

ogoki - kearns lake is actually 70 miles SOUTH of armstrong - closer to thunder bay than armstrong. but, there's simply no commercial float plane operators that can service this 8 man camp in the thunder bay area so the outfitter has a contract with don and annette elliot at mattice lake air service to fly his clients into kearns and stonehouse lakes. so, we had to drive three hours above thunder bay to armstrong in order to fly back towards thunder bay to kearns lake.

it would be great if the outfitter could find something in the thunder bay area and avoid 6 hours of driving.

hope this helps,
phish
Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

here's some cabin photos. i'll post one or two fish photos also but if you're like me seeing yet another photo of some guy holding a whopper gets kinda boring.

phish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxabilly View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9693small.JPG
Views:	712
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	10703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9745small.JPG
Views:	685
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	10704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9747small.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	10705  
Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Default kearns photos

a few phish photos - note the pike in the water photos has a walleye tail out of it's mouth. that pike was maybe 32 inches and that walleye had to be 18-19 inches - and still wanted that plastic twister! whatta glutton.

note also the walleye juggling act put on by LarryS - who said vaudville was dead!

phish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxabilly View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9817small.JPG
Views:	635
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	10709   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9756small.JPG
Views:	616