Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Connecting Marinco 4 Prong TM Plug - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 PM
HAJ

Default Connecting Marinco 4 Prong TM Plug

I am ordering a new Minnkota Terrova 80 I-pilot for my Lund 1800 Pro V and have a TM plug installation question.

Last year my dealer already replaced my factory TM wiring with two 6 gauge wires running from my 2 TM batteries to the bow receptacle. The 2 batteries already have a short jumper cable between them to make 24 volts at the receptacle. A 60 amp circuit breaker is in place at the battery.

The only thing left that I must do myself is install the male TM plug on the TM wires and I should be ready to go.

I was provided the following Marinco 4 Prong male plug to attach to the trolling motor wires:
Marinco 2018BP-24 as in following link http://www.marinco.com/en/2018bp-24/...otor-plug-male

The directions for the plug indicate that there is a jumper within the plug that converts 12v to 24v. But I don't need that since my jumper is back at the batteries, and the directions do not adequately explain what to do in that situation. So how do I attach my 2 TM wires correctly to the plug? I assume if I connect black to (-) and red to 24v, I will avoid any effects of the internal 12 to 24 jumper in the plug. Is this correct? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 02:51 AM
Wallhanger

It depends how your dealer wired the (2) #6 wires to the receptacle, Marinco's directions are pretty sketchy for a 2-wire 24V scheme.

Here's an old posting on the subject https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...85&postcount=2

Based on using the A- and B+ on the socket, then yes, the - & 24 on the plug will work, but you should confirm this with a voltmeter, or pull the socket out and see exactly how the dealer wired it.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-2-2013 12-56-12 PM.jpg
Views:	9346
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	72794  
Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Slot Fish

Question Plug question

So I bought a new to me boat this fall, and I just recently took the Maxxum motor off and bought a new Terrova to put on. I forgot to really look at the old plug before I sold the motor but I think I need this one:
http://www.marinco.com/en/305bp/3-wi...125v-male-plug

See the attached picture of the current plug in the boat. Should there be a concern with water intrusion in this plug or is it best to just leave it plugged in. My last boat I had the Marinco twist style with a rubber plug to insert when not in use...........any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	431
Size:	471.1 KB
ID:	72818  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Guest,
If I were you, I would remove the Marinco socket that is installed in your boat and replace it with a Battery Tender socket.

Then, install the matching Battery Tender plug on the trolling motor cable.

http://batterytender.com/products/ma...tor-black.html

Available at a cost savings from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...er+marine+plug

Another very nice thing about the Battery tender plug and socket is that the trolling motor wire comes out of the plug at right angles. Thus, the wire drapes down the front of the bulkhead and does not stick out where it may be hit with a foot or leg when fishing in the boat.
Also, the Battery tender has a nice screw in and screw out plug which makes for a fail safe connection and ease of connecting and disconnecting.

The problem with the Marinco socket, as is the case with many of the trolling motor plugs and sockets on the market, is that they are not set up to handle 6 gauge wire.

As a result, it makes a perfect installation, on this plug a difficult job.

But, the Battery tender plugs and sockets have nice appropriate sized connectors and openings for the use of 6 gauge wire.

-----------------------------
By the way, if you have the 4 prong Marinco socket on your boat and don't want to change it, I would take two pieces of 8 or 10 gauge wire, which ever fits the plug and splice them onto the 6 gauge wire using the right size butt splice connector.

Then, I would take each of the 2 wires that I have on the + battery wire, and connect the wires to two adjacent connectors on the Marinco 4 connector socket.

Then, I would do the same thing with the - battery wire and connect the two lighter wires to the two remaining connectors on the Marinco 4 connector socket.

Then, I would repeat the process for the Trolling motor plug. i.e. add short jumper wires of 10 gauge or so, and put the two + wires from the trolling motor to the same matching two connectors on the Marinco 4 conductor plug.

Finally, repeat for the - trolling motor plug wire. Attach the two lighter wires to the two remaining connectors on the Marinco plug that match the connecting points to the Marinco socket that you wired up in your boat.

But a big hassle to do this and you need the right very heavy duty crimper to insure that you have a good job of crimping the butt splices for the heavier 6 gauge wire to the two lighter jumper wires for each side of the plug and socket connections.

Be safe

Last edited by REW; 03-06-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye patrol2 View Post
So I bought a new to me boat this fall, and I just recently took the Maxxum motor off and bought a new Terrova to put on. I forgot to really look at the old plug before I sold the motor but I think I need this one:
http://www.marinco.com/en/305bp/3-wi...125v-male-plug

See the attached picture of the current plug in the boat. Should there be a concern with water intrusion in this plug or is it best to just leave it plugged in. My last boat I had the Marinco twist style with a rubber plug to insert when not in use...........any suggestions?
stop at a Home Depot or Farm & Fleet and get yourself a flip-lid cover like this.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HES_5153-0.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	72850  
Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=REW;2523266]Guest,
If I were you, I would remove the Marinco socket that is installed in your boat and replace it with a Battery Tender socket.

Then, install the matching Battery Tender plug on the trolling motor cable.

http://batterytender.com/products/ma...tor-black.html

Available at a cost savings from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...er+marine+plug

Another very nice thing about the Battery tender plug and socket is that the trolling motor wire comes out of the plug at right angles. Thus, the wire drapes down the front of the bulkhead and does not stick out where it may be hit with a foot or leg when fishing in the boat.
Also, the Battery tender has a nice screw in and screw out plug which makes for a fail safe connection and ease of connecting and disconnecting.

Battery tender x2

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-i-Lama View Post

Battery tender x2
Admittedly, it's a good option, but it just defies all electrical logic to have the "hot" pins exposed like they have them. The hull-side should have female sockets.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-6-2014 9-02-31 AM.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	72866  
Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Minnow

Default I-pilot wiring

The I-pilot 80 will require 3 wire connection - GND, 12V, and 24V
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckraning View Post
The I-pilot 80 will require 3 wire connection - GND, 12V, and 24V
Really? I've never heard anyone mention that before.

HRG
Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Keeper

I have the Battery Tender installed and love it. I have not had any issues with it, unlike other plugs on the boat--yes, a little more pricey, but worth it.