Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
shiver minnow question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Slot Fish

Default shiver minnow question

Hello, after reading the national walleye tour recap I am interested in knowing how to keep that one ounce bait off the bottom if your rip jigging it? I have used rapala jig raps that seem to be similar in shape and size, but I can't imagine it not sitting on the bottom since it sinks fast. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Wallhanger

I had the same thought when I read the article. Another thought I had was that those guys got another sponsor. I wonder if Jigging Raps or Northland Puppet Minnows would work also.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

http://www.lindnermedia.com/angling-...ater-walleye-0

I have trolled them this summer with some success. I did troll one through an area with sand grass and it was a bummer. I also watched the interview with Keith on Walleyes First and I can see where it is going to take some practice to get this right.
In the video above Al Lindner talks about using them over a gravel or sandy bottom and advises against using them in the weeds and I have tried to find areas this summer where grass, weeds and moss are minimal to try and fish with them. It is quite amazing the way the walleyes smack these when trolled, I am going to try Keith's way of marking the fish on the structure and then moving off to the side of it and then start casting and counting them down. Will let you know how it goes.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Keeper

Why wouldn't a chubby darter work?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdie22 View Post
Why wouldn't a chubby darter work?
It probably would. Just like any other similar lure. Will most likely depend on the body of water and the walleye's mood. Bombing for fish is nothing new. Just the lure they used. Probably many bodies of water where a Darter or Jigging Rap will work better. Trial and error. Don't get fixated on the specific lure. Just the technique.

I used to bomb for bass on the Detroit River. Scan over the shipping channel ledges looking for bass and then stop and pitch 3-4oz spinners down to them. Tick bottom, rip it, and bass on! Occasional walleye.

Technique, not bait!

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 09-01-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

The Moonshine Shiver Minnow has a totally different action than a jigging rapala and puppet minnow. It fly's up and to the side, rolls on it's back and then comes down straight, nose first. Where the others dart to the side and circle back into the area. At the time of the tournament we were not sponsored, in fact bought almost $1800 of the Shivers from BayShore Bait and Tackle. After the tournament win we were able to agree to a sponsorship situation. Up until practice I had never tried a Shiver Minnow, but had thrown Jigging Raps with some success in northern WI lakes. The Shivers totally out-fished the other minnow baits of this style for me during practice...in fact, I didn't catch any on the other baits. I'm sure it was the action, just like the difference from one crankbait to another. Since Escanaba, I've caught many, many walleyes in at least 5 different heavily fished walleye lakes in northern Wisconsin, and in fact just finished a show near Minocqua with Daryl Christensen where the Shivers out-produced both jigs and fatheads, and jigs and red tails, at about a 9 to 1 ratio. These baits are the real deal. They were built for ice fishing but have turned into a premier casting bait.
At Escanaba we fished them deep, and you could time the sweep by watching your line so that you could start the next sweep just before the bait hit the bottom. That way they didn't foul with Moss as much as letting them hit the bottom. Of course you would let the bait glide all the way to the bottom occasionally so you had a reference for the timing. In lakes where the weeds are not a big deal, I let them hit bottom all of the time.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Default what size

what size is best.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

At Escanaba with the big fish, we used the size 3, on the lakes in Northern Wisconsin I've had good luck with the size 1, 2, and 3.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Wallhanger

The style is allot like blade baits (silver buddy's)
You'll get allot less hang up's if you cut the third hook off the tremble hook
Hold the hook up, find the one that hangs down and up a pair of side cutters
Save's allot on the hang ups
Old 09-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Slot Fish

What about colors? What seems to work the best?