Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fantastic Sportsmanship at 2014 MWC Huron, OH Tourney by Mark Campeau & Greg Whitson - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Fantastic Sportsmanship at 2014 MWC Huron, OH Tourney by Mark Campeau & Greg Whitson

I just got back from the Huron Ohio tournament and wanted to share our experience at the tournament with WC users. Wayne Van Dyke and I were leading after day 1, but over night experienced electrical issues with Wayne’s boat which meant that we had no boat for Day 2. Mark Campeau and Greg Whitson were also competing in the tournament and were staying at the same hotel as us. When they heard of our plight at 6 AM, they did not hesitate to offer their boat to us. In the course of ten minutes, they cleared all of Marks stuff out his Ranger and into Greg’s Ranger while Wayne and I transferred our gear into their boat. Wayne and I want to thank all the guys who tried to fix our electrical problem at the Plantation Motel, and to the guys whose names I don’t know who helped us transfer and launch our boats at the boat launch all at the last minute.

We ended up having the cameraman in our boat because we were day 1 leaders, and when the TV show finally comes out you will probably get to witness our comedy of errors of trying to catch fish in a make and model boat you have never been in before! We ended placing third, but would have finished out of the money were it not for the generosity of Mark and Greg, two great guys that I had never met before this weekend.

Congratulations to Mark Brumbaugh and Michael Robertson for a very strong Day 2 finish and a well-deserved tournament win, but I wanted to share with WC users the story of Mark and Greg who were behind the scenes heroes for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Slot Fish

Great folks right there! This last week was my first time fishing up there ever for the tourney, we did great prefishing but all are patterns changed on Thursday and we struggled. We did meet a lot of the other anglers participating and helped us through out the week also, that is one of the main reasons why I fish the MWC events, great people!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Keeper

Erich, last year at the MWC tourney at Escanaba I had my engine die at the start of day two and as Mark and Greg drove by they also offered my partner and I use of their boat, but quick work by the Merc trailer and we were back on the water. Mark and Greg are two guys with a lot of class and true professionals in my mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing your story. That was really nice of them. Congrats on your third place finish.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2019 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 09-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

I must be missing something here, why would two guys fishing a tournament give up their boat?

Nice of them to do, but did they just not fish then??

Al
Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
I just got back from the Huron Ohio tournament and wanted to share our experience at the tournament with WC users. Wayne Van Dyke and I were leading after day 1, but over night experienced electrical issues with Wayne’s boat which meant that we had no boat for Day 2. Mark Campeau and Greg Whitson were also competing in the tournament and were staying at the same hotel as us. When they heard of our plight at 6 AM, they did not hesitate to offer their boat to us. In the course of ten minutes, they cleared all of Marks stuff out his Ranger and into Greg’s Ranger while Wayne and I transferred our gear into their boat. Wayne and I want to thank all the guys who tried to fix our electrical problem at the Plantation Motel, and to the guys whose names I don’t know who helped us transfer and launch our boats at the boat launch all at the last minute.

We ended up having the cameraman in our boat because we were day 1 leaders, and when the TV show finally comes out you will probably get to witness our comedy of errors of trying to catch fish in a make and model boat you have never been in before! We ended placing third, but would have finished out of the money were it not for the generosity of Mark and Greg, two great guys that I had never met before this weekend.

Congratulations to Mark Brumbaugh and Michael Robertson for a very strong Day 2 finish and a well-deserved tournament win, but I wanted to share with WC users the story of Mark and Greg who were behind the scenes heroes for us.
Great story! Are you gonna split the 3rd place check 4 ways?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
I must be missing something here, why would two guys fishing a tournament give up their boat?

Nice of them to do, but did they just not fish then??

Al
Some of the MWC teams travel with two boats so they can cover more water pre-fishing it sounds more like they had an extra boat at the hotel, not that they gave up the one they were fishing in.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Keeper

Yep same thing last year,both had their boats to prefish
Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Great story! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Keeper

Default Great

A couple of good ole Canadian boys there! Way to go

Tags