Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hot n Tots great walleye results for fall river fishing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 10-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Keeper

Default Hot n Tots great walleye results for fall river fishing

Fishing for fall walleye can be a challenge sometimes here is a way to produce bigger eyes when fishing on slow days. Walleyes are starting to move north on Lake Oahe up the Missouri river. Angler are starting to stack up on slack water and bends also, using the traditional jig and minnow approach on the shallow side of the channels. For me its cranking with leadcore in deeper water just to the outside of the jiggers. Had great success doing this with my fishing buds this week. After we made a couple of long runs using different brands and colors of cranks with some success knowing there were bigger fish in the area. Two of use switched to the HOT n TOTE the action and vibration on these are superb. On the next run my friend had 2 nice eyes he ended with 3 over 20'' and his limit of 5 eye . I had 3 nice eyes 18'' 19'' 21''for the day throwing back a lot of 14'' dinks . IMO any eye over 20'' is a big eye on the river system know days after the 100 year flood a few years ago. Has anyone else had some success with the rattling Hot n Tote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Wallhanger

Hot n'tots are the best crank bait ever for walleyes, IMHO, if the fish are shallow enough. I have been using them for years and out fishing my buddies every time for years. I use the smallest ones and catch everything - big northerns, many muskies over forty inches, smallmouth over 20 and walleyes up to 29 inches. I can't say enough about this bait. The only downsides are that you have to fish them at EXACTLY the right speed or they will pop to the surface and that once the depth goes to 10-12 feet, they are less effective. That being said, I catch big walleyes shallow, even in August (when I caught two 29 inchers).

I have never heard of rattling tots. The small ones have a super nice tight vibration, which I think is part of their success.

Frank
Old 10-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Wallhanger

can you cast those or just for trolling ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Wallhanger

The small ones are very difficult to cast. Maybe that would work with an ultra light, but trolling gets them into the strike zone for a longer time.

Frank
Old 10-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

Hot n tots are fabulous cranks.

Locally I've donekvery well with gold and crawdad colors.

And I have caught more 29"+ fish on them than anything else.
Patient and watchful, nor denies
Any by reason of its size.

And I too, on some careless day,
Shall feel the hook I had not guessed;
And shall try to break away,
And go, after brief protest,
Into the basket, with all the rest.

-Robert Bell
Old 10-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyPoint View Post
Hot n'tots are the best crank bait ever for walleyes, IMHO, if the fish are shallow enough. I have been using them for years and out fishing my buddies every time for years. I use the smallest ones and catch everything - big northerns, many muskies over forty inches, smallmouth over 20 and walleyes up to 29 inches. I can't say enough about this bait. The only downsides are that you have to fish them at EXACTLY the right speed or they will pop to the surface and that once the depth goes to 10-12 feet, they are less effective. That being said, I catch big walleyes shallow, even in August (when I caught two 29 inchers).

I have never heard of rattling tots. The small ones have a super nice tight vibration, which I think is part of their success.

Frank
BreezyPoint Rattle TOT was the old style crank they took out of production but brought them back again. They now have 3 different styles now. Regarding them blowing out at 12 ft or more we were fishing them from 17 to 23ft using 18# Leadcore 1.8 on gps in moderate to heavy current never blow out to top. Lots of line out 150 in 17 ft up to 210 in 20 ft plus sucks when you get hung up. 2 1/2in RIVER ROCKER SMALLEST CRANK IN MY TACKLE 42 " Pike. RELEASED. thought it was a snag went back for crank just sat there got on top of it, puled on it started to come and bam fight was on. What a way to wind down another year of fishing. TAKE CARE
Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Keeper

Quote:

Frank
BreezyPoint thanks for the come back on this tread. Did not have the smaller ones but going to give them a shot. ALSO like the tight wiggle and rattle in not so clear water like the big muddy. Did you hear Lake Sakakawea will drop 6ft, what about Fort Peck making room for run off ?
Old 10-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Keeper

Default BreezyPoint

Sorry thought you were from Montana. Well the corp of enginerring going to release 6ft from our biggest lake, Sakakawea in North Dakota. To make room for next year and prevent ice jams. Now that's a lot of water hope they don't flush the fish we have around here over the dams again.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:10 PM
Wallhanger

FWIW, Hot-n-Tots are the #1 plastic bait for trolling on Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron. We run them most of the summer in 10'-25' of water.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 10-26-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Wallhanger

Default Hot N' Tot's

Quote:

Frank
X2

Thanks
Larry Mac