Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Windsheild issue - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Minnow

Default Windsheild issue

A friend of mine has a 2013/1675 Lund with full windshield,going down the road a rock flies up breaks passenger window.He talk to a dealer and was told he has to buy the whole windshield 2300.00 ouch!! not sure if that's installed he has insurance.Some help from u guys out there would help with suggestions.I don't understand why u have to buy a whole windshield for one piece of glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

It sucks. Been that way for about many years now. ...and Lund is not alone.
As a Dealer I went through it once or twice a year and with other brands, too.
Taylor makes almost all the windshields sold to boat companies.
They bought everybody else out.
Taylor used to sell us just the curved glass, but it would arrive destroyed in shipping more often then not.
So they only sell the whole friggin deal now... and no more direct sales to consumers! Now, only through the boat companies, (Unless something changed just recently).

-And sometimes you just can't get, a windshield.... period!
I had a young man drive all the way from Edmonton, Alberta, to my shop in Townsend, MT to get a windshield for his boat one time...because we had the only one he could locate in a thousand miles.

This is the #1 reason to tow with the boat cover on... IMHO.

Sorry for the rant... but
Old 06-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Minn guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaGold1 View Post
A friend of mine has a 2013/1675 Lund with full windshield,going down the road a rock flies up breaks passenger window.He talk to a dealer and was told he has to buy the whole windshield 2300.00 ouch!! not sure if that's installed he has insurance.Some help from u guys out there would help with suggestions.I don't understand why u have to buy a whole windshield for one piece of glass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lund-Boat-Wi...7808ce&vxp=mtr. Or check boat salvage businesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Minnow

Default Lund Windshield

Thanks guys for the help I"ll pass it on. Love this site.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Wallhanger

The solution is easy. Boat makers should go back to flat paneled windshields. Replacement glass can be bought at almost any auto glass shop, and the tempered glass will be replaced with laminated.
It's a boat, not a sports car.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Keeper

Default Get one of these

http://www.cabelas.com/product/TruXe...3648930&rid=20.

My boat factory cover sucks. I was worried about the windshield so I bought one of these. Work great!!
Minnkota Terrova 80 w/ I-link
HB ONIX 10CI SI HB ONIX 10CI COMBO
Old 06-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Keeper

Check with a local plastics place and see if they can bend you up a piece of Lexan (used in racecars). Buddy of mine had this done in Thunder Bay on the way to camp. turned out real nice and is virtually indestructible.

You have to care for it differently than glass, but it's a lot less expensive.

Blair
Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Minnow

Not necessarily true, my dealer called the Lund customer service rep and found that you could order just the half that was broke. Mine was a 2012 1875 Impact, port side windshield. Took several weeks to get here and was still expensive, around $1,190.00, still was a lot less than the $2,300.00 for the whole thing and that price does not include installation. My insurance picked up the tab.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Keeper

Same thing happened to my dad a couple of years ago on his Lund. He was able to send Taylor Made his frame and they replaced the glass and sent it back. A friend of mine broke one on his Tracker, called Taylor Made and they said if they had their part number they would get him one. He ended up getting just the side he needed through Tracker. I would start by calling Taylor Made and see what they say. $2300 is nuts.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Wallhanger

Just happened I was listening to a local kenora radio station today and they were talking to somebody from pro auto glass (don't know if that is a chain or local) and they were saying they could replace broken glass from a boat winshield.might be worth the trip if u r close enough.godd excuse to fish lotw too