Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trip Report - Kearns Lake with Thousand Lakes outposts 2015 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Trip Report - Kearns Lake with Thousand Lakes outposts 2015

We just returned from 7 days at Kearns Lake with Thousand Lakes Outposts – LarryS and his sister Pat with Wil and my partner Gary. This was our third trip to this lake – you can see the other reports at: https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...ghlight=kearns

Not a lot was new to the Taj Mahal Cabin or to the boats/motors (15hp 4 stroke, 14 ft lunds) so I’ll just briefly summarize the fishing which was very very good.

Walleye – were much deeper than the last trips (this trip was about a month later) and we found the sweet spots between 17 and 25 feet of water. We did get two large walleye – LarryS’s 27 incher and my 26 incher – but there was a gap down to the 23-24 inch range where we caught somewhere on the order of 35-40 in that range. Must’ve been a good year class. Smaller walleye in the 16 to 20 inch range were as usual all over the lake and quite easy to catch at the right depths. 40-50 per day is pretty easy to achieve. We were glad to have crawlers and leeches as twister jigs were not nearly as effective as in the past.

A highlight was the best double my partner Gary and I ever got – my 26 and his 23 – see photo.

Pike – didn’t focus on pike much but it seems we got our share of 28 to 33 inch fish - but only got three what we would consider trophies. Wil’s 44 incher topped the list followed by his 42 and LarryS’s 41. Last trip we caught lots of trophies fishing for walleye – not too many this time.

While last trip the river inlet and outlets were packed with both walleye and pike, they were practically devoid of fish this year – all action was out in the main lake. Low flow and later in the season were no doubt large factors.

one food highlight was Wil's veggie shish-ka-bob - see photo - and of course my annual toast to Tooski with a turd brown T-shirt - see photo. Hope he (and his son) are doing better.

All in all another great trip – this may very well be the best private lake cabin and fishing that Ontario has to offer.

phish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3802.JPG
Views:	568
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	166978   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3792.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	166986   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3794.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	166994  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM
Slot Fish

Looks like another great trip for you. Kearns is on my list.

On a side note, I can relate to many years of football misery as a life long Lions fan.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

As Phish said ,the fishing this year at Kearns was to go Deep 20 to 30 ft . Jigs with tails were OK, but add a piece of worm or a leech and your success greatly improved. I got the largest walleye at 27,Wil got largest pike 44 1/2. Weather was great only a few showers with temps in 70 to 80's most every day This is such a nicely equipped outpost with indoor toilet and many other amenities. Only a short 30 to 40 minute flight from Armstrong, or if possible in the future from Thunder Bay.

Last edited by Larry S; 08-04-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
As Phish said ,the fishing this year at Kearns was to go Deep 20 to 30 ft . Jigs with tails were OK, but add a piece of worm or a leech and your success greatly improved. I got the largest walleye at 27,Wil got largest pike 44 1/2. Weather was great only a few showers with temps in 70 to 80's most every day This is such a nicely equipped outpost with indoor toilet and many other amenities. Only a short 30 to 40 minute flight from Armstrong, or if possible in the future from Thunder Bay.
Glad to hear you guys had another good trip Larry!
Old 03-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Minnow

Kearns is always a good time from what I hear! Ive never fished it myself but hear nothing but good things about it.

Out of curiosity, do you stop at my bait shop on the way by for bait? Im right on the Armstrong highway.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP View Post
Out of curiosity, do you stop at my bait shop on the way by for bait? Im right on the Armstrong highway.
the outfitter recommended Rockwood Bait and Tackle and we've been going to Gary there for bait. one thing that Rockwood has been doing for us is to provide a flat of crawlers in paper-based bedding - not in that black "dirt" - keeps the boats and fishermen cleaner.

phish
Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Minnow

Ok I know Gary well. We also pack our worms in bedding as do most bait shops around here for flats and half flats. I sometimes use fresh moss that I pick from around the shop. I find the worms stay healthy in the moss for longer periods of time. Moss also keeps things clean as there is little dirt on it normally.

Not sure if you ever noticed my shop on your way up to Armstrong. You pass right by it. Its on the west side of Hwy 527 about 3 miles up once you turn off 11/17 and head towards Armstrong. It has a big red canoe leaning against the sign in the front lawn.

If you ever need anything give me a call and Ill try to help you out the best I can. If I dont hear from you enjoy your trip and catch some lunkers!!

Tight Lines

Josh
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

yes, we have noticed your shop on the Armstrong road. now that we know you're there we may reserve a flat next time. we didn't know you were there and we sure didn't want to assume there would be something between TB and Armstrong - where there's almost nothing.

we're using a different outfitter out of pickle lake this summer and will get the crawlers in Ignace.

thanks for the info.

phish
Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Minnow

For sure, next time your up this way give me a call and ill get you set up. The shop is open from may to september and 7 days a week but even when guests come through after hours i usually make arrangements to leave the bait out for them. Enjoy your trip to Pickle Lake. Theres some amazing fishing up there also!!

Josh
Old 12-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Minnow

This is a very good post which I really enjoy reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.
Southwest Airlines customer service 800 number

Last edited by Desy235; 12-11-2017 at 02:13 PM.