Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowe Boat Quality - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Minnow

We considered a Lowes but decided against it due to fit and finish and I had concerns about the trailer (I wanted some thing welded not bolted).
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Wallhanger

For 16-17 ft boats for small, medium water -- Lowe is fine. So for 90% of the guys out there, Lowe, Tracker, G3, etc are fine. A lot of guys end up buying more boat than they really need for the frequency of fishing and bodies of water they end up doing. How many boats sit in the garage all year except for a few days? A lot.

I think the biggest thing for me in at least in MN is what the resale would be. This is Lund and Alumacraft country so any other alum brand is not going to hold its value well here.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Wallhanger

I bought a new 2008 Lowe fm175 DC with 90 optimax and welded karavan trailer. For 8 years, I've fished lake erie west and central Basin to the Canadian border at times in typical 2-3' chop with the expected bumpy rides at appropriate speeds. Since initial loose livewell fitting issue, boat has been trouble free and held up well. Fit and finish was decent, but I didn't buy it to spend weekends polishing out water spots or impressing neighbors. I looked closely at lunds and alumacraft, but got way better bang for my buck$ when I had 3 kids in college. I'd buy another one. Their are better made boats out there, but my Lowe has been great for me. I've seen plenty of hot shots smashing bashing waves on erie and figured that's why some need double hulls and heavier transoms. Trade in was no factor since I planned to keep my boat for a decade and after all the great times, I could care less when I'm done with it. Check them out before believing my post or the lund/alumacraft lovers. After 8 seasons, my boat only stinks because of the walleye and perch slime, smashed minnows, escaped worms, and spilled beer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiojmj View Post
I bought a new 2008 Lowe fm175 DC with 90 optimax and welded karavan trailer. For 8 years, I've fished lake erie west and central Basin to the Canadian border at times in typical 2-3' chop with the expected bumpy rides at appropriate speeds. Since initial loose livewell fitting issue, boat has been trouble free and held up well. Fit and finish was decent, but I didn't buy it to spend weekends polishing out water spots or impressing neighbors. I looked closely at lunds and alumacraft, but got way better bang for my buck$ when I had 3 kids in college. I'd buy another one. Their are better made boats out there, but my Lowe has been great for me. I've seen plenty of hot shots smashing bashing waves on erie and figured that's why some need double hulls and heavier transoms. Trade in was no factor since I planned to keep my boat for a decade and after all the great times, I could care less when I'm done with it. Check them out before believing my post or the lund/alumacraft lovers. After 8 seasons, my boat only stinks because of the walleye and perch slime, smashed minnows, escaped worms, and spilled beer.

Your my kind of fisherman!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:57 AM
Wallhanger

Default Lowe

My fishing buddy had one for Fishing Lake ont primarily, he does run rather hard . In 5 years he had 3 of them due to split hulls. He was treated really well by the company (they did give him 2 new boats) if fishing smaller inland lakes they are probably ok, not for big water hard core fishermen in my opinion. He now has a Lund

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 01-28-2016, 05:09 AM
Keeper

Quote:

True Dat! I have a Lund but this description defines fishing for me.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:02 AM
Minnow

I own a 2012 lowe fm 165. I bought it after fishing out of my uncles 2006. It is a very good boat for the money. The quality is decent. Looked and felt better built than a tracker. My uncle fished Erie out of his. He doesn't abuse his stuff and that boat never went back for any repairs. My fishing buddy actually bought the boat off my uncle last year and fishes it now. I have never taken mine back for repairs either. I do local lakes and Erie also. The trailer is the only issue I had. Tires wore out wierd after a trip to canada. They sent me new tires and $100 to get them mounted and balanced. Can't complain too much. But that being said I looked at the new 2016s at the boat show last weekend and it appears to me the quality of the accessories (door latches, snaps, ect) are much cheaper now. And they offer much less storage. If I were buying new today it would not be that boat.

Last edited by fishinmaniac; 01-28-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 AM
wimwuen unlogged

I have a 2014 FM 175 Pro WT with a 125 opti and a 9.9 pro kicker. It's been a great boat, I'll go over some of the likes/dislikes I have

Pros
- Sits deep, feels very safe
- Trailer, I got the upgraded trailer and it pulls as smooth as can be, loads easily
- Nice and wide for fishing out of the rear
- Good amount of storage
- I have the vinyl floor, and it's very nice
- Upgraded seats
- Big rear livewell
- Easily fit two series 31 batteries and an on board charger under the center rod locker
- Side rod locker holds a ton of trolling rods

Cons
- Kind of a wind sail (This is an issue in any 17+ foot aluminum boat with a walk through I've ever been in)
- Handles on the rear compartments face the back of the boat, scares me in tournament situations putting fish in the livewell (but, they also can't blow open on the road)
- Not an overly fast boat, but is average (2 guys on calm water I can hit 41-42, but I also have a lot of weight in the boat).
- Button for glove compartment sticks (I'm sure I can fix this, just haven't take the time yet)

Overall, I love the boat, have had it on Green Bay, Winnebago, Petenwell, Pepin and tons of time on the Mississippi. I payed a whole lot less for this package than I would've for the same sized Lund. Yeah, I might get a few grand less on resale, but I also paid 6-8 thousand less up front. To me, that all balances out.

My buddy has the 165 pro wt with a 90 4 stroke. He runs faster than me by a few miles an hour, and it handles rough stuff pretty well, but if we're going on big water we take mine just for the added size and the kicker. His trolls great with the smartcraft, but running the kicker and the xi5 to troll just works so well.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

I can attest to this assessment as a number of those spilled beers, etc were from me.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I can attest to this assessment as a number of those spilled beers, etc were from me.
You forgot the spilled worm dirt, Sheepshead scales, Catfish skuzz, popcorn diarrhea, and white bass jizz. I think my kids realize that they will inherit a stinking dirty used boat someday, OH well. Use it, wear it out, laugh about the good times and anyone that polishes the sparkles,haha..