Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dual trolling bag setup - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-24-2016, 06:23 AM
Wallhanger

Default Dual trolling bag setup

Ok lots of searching on this and the old lindy link doesn't work. I have a 19' deckboat with a 150hp 4stroke merc. I'd like to troll a few times a year. I have a 24volt troller that should be ok for harnesses. So looking to mainly pull cranks....1.5-2.0 mph. I ordered a pair of 32" bags. I've seen 1 picture online as to how to rig a dual bag under the boat. I love the idea but I don't understand how you get them down there together, untangled and tied perfectly. Do I pre-tie 1 side off the rope off to a cleat with the bags already attached and then put them in and tie the other end off to the opposite cleat? I'm guessing I should pre measure all this stuff to make sure when the long line end is tied off the bags are centered? Does this sound right? Anyone have a video of this?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Keeper

i pull my bags behind the boat. Set up a harness like for water skiing put clips on both side and make a bowline knot and attach bag to that. if you hook bag to one side or the other boat pulls that way.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

2 Catch,
The bags are pretty easy to setup if the boat is on the trailer.

Start with a long rope.

Put a loop in one end of the rope. It is even better if you weave the loop into the end of the rope to avoid knots. Make the loop large enough so that it slips nicely over one of the bow cleats.

Then, run the rope straight down the side of the boat until you get to a location that is about 6 inches under the hull. Tie a loop into the rope at that point. Then continue running the rope under the boat. Go to the other side of the boat and tie a 2nd loop into the rope so that you are about 6 inches under that side of the hull. Then, run the boat on up to the other bow cleat. Tie a loop into that end of the rope, but leave enough slack so that you will be able to slip the loop onto the cleat when the bags are pulling on the rope. You want to still have about 10 feet of rope past the last loop for use when stowing and deploying the bags.

Now, just take the bags and slip the harness through the loops and run the bag back through the loop on the harness. You can use a snap, but if you use a snap, you run the risk of having the snap rubbing on the bottom of the hull and scratching up the hull.

-------------------
To deploy the bags, hook the single loop on one of the bow cleats, then walk the rope with the bags attached around the bow and let the other bag into the water and slip the other loop on the opposite bow cleat. You are good to go.

+++++++++++++
When retrieving, you can either do the opposite of deploying the bag, i.e. unhook the bag from the bow cleat that has the rope tag end on it and then walk back around the boat to lift the bags from the water.

But, if you are through for the day, just unhook the loop with the tag end of the rope on it while holding the tag rope end, and then go over to the other side of the boat and slip the first loop off of the boat. Then, pull both bags from under the boat with the tag end.

Easy to do, takes longer to write the steps than to execute it.

p.s.
If you have small loops in the harness of your bags, you might want to run the pull rope through the bag harness when you first rig the harness on your boat and just put an over hand knot in the rope to hold the bag in place. No big knot and no metal hook.

p.p.s.
The nice thing about pulling the twin bags off of the bow, is that the bags really stabilize the bow of the boat in the wind and waves.

Good luck

Last edited by REW; 04-24-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Wallhanger

I used this for years and it works great.

The Two Drift Sock System
With the boat on the trailer on shore, cut a length of one-half-inch limp nylon rope or soft dock rope 18- to 25 feet long depending on the width of your boat. The rope needs to stretch from one mid-ship cleat to the other by passing under the hull. Make a 6-inch loop on one end and fasten it to one cleat. Run the other end under the boat, tie it off on the other cleat and make sure both ends are tight. Go under the boat now and make a mark on the rope where it meets the keel. Make two more marks about 14 inches to each side. Remove the rope and tie on the drift socks to each 14-inch mark using over-hand knots. Retie the main rope to the cleats and make sure the bags are equal distant on each side of the keel. Use two 30-inch drift socks for smaller boats and two 40-inchers for larger ones.
To deploy the bags, put the boat in neutral, attach both ends of the rope to the cleats, drop the bags over the bow and pull the main rope tight and re-tie. Make sure the boat in is neutral to retrieve them. The system slows the boat by half, so itís a good way to creep along contours and make tight turns even in a stiff wind.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Wallhanger

Keep it simple. 2 - 5 gallon buckets, one off each side, works great, do double duty for storing things on you boat when not in use, remove the handles, drill a couple of holes and attach a rope works very good and cheap!
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Keeper

I wouldn't run them off the back, I fish great lakes lots with my Alumacraft Trophy 18' . Tie off on front cleats and run 3/4 ship. Will stabilize boat in big waves and just reach over and pull them in before running. (Leaving tied).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_N_Finn View Post
I wouldn't run them off the back, I fish great lakes lots with my Alumacraft Trophy 18' . Tie off on front cleats and run 3/4 ship. Will stabilize boat in big waves and just reach over and pull them in before running. (Leaving tied).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I tie mine off to the front cleats and let them run back far enough to tie off the back of the bags to the rear cleat on my boat. this stabilizes the boat and keeps the bags from getting in the way when letting out lines. always tie off the back of the bags. then to bring in your bags just pull the back rope to bring them in.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Keeper

Default Bags

I run the exact set up Kp Kyylo described.Run a rope from cleat to cleat mark center line on keel and make 2 marks 15 inches each side of keel mark.I have 2 30 inch bags tied to the marks.To deploy attach one end to cleat with a loop and run rope over bow and around to other cleat.I have the tag end marked as well so I know Iam straight from cleat to cleat.I have a 620 ranger and this helps holds a steady speed in big seas as well as slowing you down.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I used this for years and it works great.

The Two Drift Sock System
With the boat on the trailer on shore, cut a length of one-half-inch limp nylon rope or soft dock rope 18- to 25 feet long depending on the width of your boat. The rope needs to stretch from one mid-ship cleat to the other by passing under the hull. Make a 6-inch loop on one end and fasten it to one cleat. Run the other end under the boat, tie it off on the other cleat and make sure both ends are tight. Go under the boat now and make a mark on the rope where it meets the keel. Make two more marks about 14 inches to each side. Remove the rope and tie on the drift socks to each 14-inch mark using over-hand knots. Retie the main rope to the cleats and make sure the bags are equal distant on each side of the keel. Use two 30-inch drift socks for smaller boats and two 40-inchers for larger ones.
To deploy the bags, put the boat in neutral, attach both ends of the rope to the cleats, drop the bags over the bow and pull the main rope tight and re-tie. Make sure the boat in is neutral to retrieve them. The system slows the boat by half, so itís a good way to creep along contours and make tight turns even in a stiff wind.

X2 Same setup I used for years until I got my T8 kicker.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Wallhanger

thanks guys. Going to try off the sides first with ropes on the bags at front and rear and see what happens. My mid cleats are fairly far back and with my 32" bags they may get pretty close to the engine if I run them under....that would be my luck to get the trolling bag rig into the prop! I could install a couple more cleats but I hate to do this on a new 40k boat.