Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Opinion on tracker boats - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-31-2017, 03:49 PM
Slot Fish

Default Opinion on tracker boats

Been in the used boat market for a few years now and been looking at almost exclusively crestliner. Even after 2 years looking I still don't have a boat, everything I've seen either I didn't think it was a very good deal or it was a good deal and it sold before I could make any moves. I am realizing I can get a 5 years newer tracker for about the same price as a 5 year older crestliner. Basically I am after a 17.5 or 18 foot targa (no bass boats) and around a 2010 seem to be in my price range or a little older. Will a tracker serve me good for many years? I don't need commercial quality. I'm a going into this basically knowing I will only have the boat on the water maby 5-10 times a season.

Want add this boat is never going to see salt water as I live in South Dakota. Will have it on big water like lake ohae so migh see bigger waves sometimes. I just though I heard trackers have bad hulls or something, wondering if that's still true in their newerish models.

Last edited by Cobbled; 07-31-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 04:05 PM
Wallhanger

As an owner of 3 new Trackers, including being the owner of one of the most infamous defective boats, it's a crap shoot. Quality is less than consistent. Some are nearly bullet-proof, some are lemons, even with the same model/same year. Good thing is that if you're looking for a used boat, if there were any major structural flaws, they have already been exposed and obvious or corrected already. If you're looking at welded, check every weld you can see, inside and out, especially around the transom area. Same with riveted, check them all and the metal around them. If it's for sale, it's probably going to be waxed and shiny, so look for any waves in the metal along the hull, which would indicate a previous problem or underlying structural problem you cannot see under the floor. If all the rivets or welds look good and the hull is straight, I'd go for it. If you can find a ZV-18 in your price range, I'd go with that instead of aluminum.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 07-31-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:56 PM
Wallhanger

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sounds about right!
A fishing buddy of mine has an older Tracker Targa that he has had no problems with and it is an excellent boat to fish out of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 06:18 PM
Boat guru

Thumbs up Boat

The Ranger model from Tracker seems purdy good
Old 07-31-2017, 09:29 PM
Minnow

I owned an 08 model pro guide v17 as did a close friend. Both were a pile but very different problems. They had their factory rigged mercury blow up first outing, and sunk their boat on leech a year later. I had everything from ripped seats to steering failure and even the splash pan eyelets pop out from transom flex. A slow leak followed. Mine had an odd list (never rode flat, and didn't steer linear from right to left turns) theirs was fine in that regard. Even sank level. Theirs was purchased with options for 23k. Mine was 22k back in 08. They lost 14k in 2 years and I lost 10k in 4 years respectively. With all this said, I do know more happy owners that run em harder than we ever did. It's just not worth the risk.

Lund and alumacraft both have welded transoms, riveted double plate hulls, and name brand trailers under them. Oh and they depreciate about 1k per year not 2.5-7k. I could sell my 2017 alumacraft for more than I paid for it they way the market is. Probably why your interested in this question in the first place. Either way, you'll probably be fine, and most kinks will be worked out of any used rig. I'd just buy one you can afford and fish the crap out of it before the dnr bans fishing with hooks or in your case chains off all the good lakes
Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM
Keeper

I bought a new Crestliner Sportfish 1850, and having it for 8 years, would definitely look for a used Alumacraft or Lund before a Crestliner. A decent boat for smaller lakes that don't get too rough.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the advice. Lund and alumacraft are probably exceptional boats, the only problem with getting one of those is that I have to get a older one opposed to tracker or crestliner to keep it in my price range. And when you start getting to old, maby pre 2003 then your getting into the gas guzzler carb 2 strokes. Wanna kinda do it right the first time with either efi 4 stroke or Direct inject 2 stroke. And I just think a lower grade boat will still hold up well for how much I'm gonna use it.

I just came across a 2006 crestliner sport angler 1750 with a 2007 merc 115 efi asking 12900. Kinda making me think a little bit. Based on the advice I got here I am going to consider tracker from here forward, I will just have to look it over close if I decide to buy.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

Lots of sad tales about welded Trackers on the bass boat site- even when new they seem to have welds that let go and inspection shows faulty welds- or missing welds. That being said, search on this forum for issues with other brands. I'm an odd-ball since I only buy Starcraft- owned 5 of them over the past 37 years and never had a leak or a bubble or transom flex or transom core rot. I currently own a 16 ft and a 2014 SF176. My first Starcraft, a 1981 16 ft is still around for me to see- owned by the father of a friend. It's seen hard service on Erie, gets run up on beaches and bounced off rocks now and then, and still nothing wrong after all those years. Only issue I ever had was on my 2002 SF176- when I needed 2 different keys to fit the various locks on compartments. I complained to my dealer and the factory immediately shipped me a full set of properly keyed locks and did not require me to ship back the originals- along with an apology from the factory rep.
Doug
Old 08-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor View Post
Lots of sad tales about welded Trackers on the bass boat site- even when new they seem to have welds that let go and inspection shows faulty welds- or missing welds. That being said, search on this forum for issues with other brands. I'm an odd-ball since I only buy Starcraft- owned 5 of them over the past 37 years and never had a leak or a bubble or transom flex or transom core rot. I currently own a 16 ft and a 2014 SF176. My first Starcraft, a 1981 16 ft is still around for me to see- owned by the father of a friend. It's seen hard service on Erie, gets run up on beaches and bounced off rocks now and then, and still nothing wrong after all those years. Only issue I ever had was on my 2002 SF176- when I needed 2 different keys to fit the various locks on compartments. I complained to my dealer and the factory immediately shipped me a full set of properly keyed locks and did not require me to ship back the originals- along with an apology from the factory rep.
Doug
Lucky he's buying used and won't have to deal with the jackholes in Tracker warranty. They are the brand's biggest problem IMHO. Every brand has issues. It's just a matter of how the manufacturer handles the warranty claim as to whether they get it fixed quietly with a happy customer, or the try to break it off in the customer's rear if possible and fight them tooth and nail, then it ends up being an internet horror story. Tracker generally chooses the latter.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default 5 major steps of buying used.

#1 worry about the motor first. Personally I'm in love with Fuel injected 4 strokes
#2 inspect the he11 out of any used boat.
#3 test drive it. If the owner won't let you, run away.....faster the better
#4 get any records they have....warranty issues, maintenance all of it if you can
#5 don't forget the trailer. They aren't that cheap anymore and my last boat had the sh#ttiest trailer ever....Yacht club brand. Hated it and had numerous welds break even though it was well taken care of and garage kept. Tires, lights, bearings it all ads up.