Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Storngest Features and Advantages of Electronic Brands - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 12-16-2017, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

Default Strongest Features and Advantages of Electronic Brands

What do you see or experience as the advantage of one brand of fishing electronics over the others. Not a comparison instead what feature stands out on the brand

The brands:

Lowrance
Hummingbird
Garmin
Ray Marine

This site appeals to a wide range of anglers using the four brands listed.

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 12-16-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Wallhanger

I like Lowrance, Mostly because that is what most people had when I started using "modern" stuff, so that is what I have learned and understand,...

However, I'm stuck in the past I reckon, I still haven't bought anything newer than the Lowrance 113 I bought from you a few years ago,...

I've seen the new stuff in action, I've read article after article, and watched videos,...

Honestly, It leaves me confused and frustrated, So consequently I won't spend the money to "upgrade" to something I know I'll hate until I figure it out or throw it away,...
Old 12-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Keeper

Humminbird

1)DI and SI is the strongest feaure

2)Real-time map making (free and unlimited)

3)Map chip (sharing) networking---saves a lot of $$$$--under-rated feature for sure

These are the features that stand out to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Minnow

Lowrance

1) Touch screen interface....can't imagine going back from this

2) Best 2D I have seen (although Garmin's is reported to be very good, I haven't used it)

2) Downscan and sidescan (range, and clarity at range is great with SS3D)

3) Trackback (rewind your sonar logs to mark waypoints)

4) Chart Sharing (all HDS models since Gen 2 Button)

Humminbird

1) Mega imaging (exceptional detail at short range)

2) Autochart Live

Garmin

1) Panoptix (I am salivating over this right now....)
Old 12-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakylunker View Post
Humminbird

1)DI and SI is the strongest feaure

2)Real-time map making (free and unlimited)

3)Map chip (sharing) networking---saves a lot of $$$$--under-rated feature for sure

These are the features that stand out to me.
I agree but want to clarify the map sharing. Only one current model shares mapping and that is Solix. Not sure if it is a feature but HB will repair units long after the warranty runs out. For a price, but you don't have to trash them. Bob
Old 12-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

I especially find the depth highlight feature on Humminbird with Lakemaster maps useful for following contours when trolling cranks. As an example, I usually highlight a certain depth such as an old shoreline of a lake that has risen, set it to plus or minus one foot and simply keep my boat in the green path on the contour map to keep my cranks following the old shoreline. I use it in other ways also, but I'd hate to be without depth highlight when trolling contours.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Minnow

The Garmins quickchart is better than autochart live in my opinion. You can set the ranges and colours and you don't need to buy a $150 SD card to record more than 8 hours, you can use any microsd card and copy the data easily to another generic card.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

Can only speak to the ones I have used. I really like the out of the box accuracy of lowrance sonar. Really didn't have to change the settings much. The biggest strength of the humminbird is the integration of the unit with minnkota, and Lakemaster maps.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikantski View Post
The Garmins quickchart is better than autochart live in my opinion. You can set the ranges and colours and you don't need to buy a $150 SD card to record more than 8 hours, you can use any microsd card and copy the data easily to another generic card.

Those cards can easily be bought for $75 and at that point it will last you the rest of your life.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I especially find the depth highlight feature on Humminbird with Lakemaster maps useful for following contours when trolling cranks. As an example, I usually highlight a certain depth such as an old shoreline of a lake that has risen, set it to plus or minus one foot and simply keep my boat in the green path on the contour map to keep my cranks following the old shoreline. I use it in other ways also, but I'd hate to be without depth highlight when trolling contours.

I really like this too...seems such a simple idea and it really helps when you are looking for spots to fish or follow along areas accurately. I would have never guessed that it would have been as useful as it is to catch more fish. Biggest surprise by far for me last year. I used it every time on the water last summer---especially in a new lake.

X2 on the customer support as well. Does not get any better than this company.