Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Favorite Pike lures - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Wallhanger

Default Followu-up

Greetings,

My favorite pike lure depends upon the time of the season. For me, it all boils down to the willingness of the pike to chase down a lure. I classify the lures by speed: fast moving, regular speed and slow moving.

I will often be throwing a spoon if they are willing to chase down a lightning bolt and stuff it into a bottle. The Dr. Spoons and Daredevles are tough to beat in red/white, yellow five-o-diamonds or hammer copper/orange swirl color schemes. I retrieve these lures fast!

The next slower lures that I routinely throw are spinner baits - either in-line or bent-arm style. I can burn these along about as fast as a spoon (bulging under the surface) or slow-roll them.

I throw a lot of jerk baits (e.g. Suicks or Bobby's) and minnow baits (e.g. Shallow Raiders or Crane baits) in the early season and again at the end of the season when the water is cold and the fish are not willing to chase a lure. I can fish these lures with plenty of pauses to tempt reluctant fish.

An advantage of the spoons and blade baits is needing to deal with only one hook when releasing a fish.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Slot Fish

I'm a spoon guy. I've got an old Krinkles 3.5 inch in brass/ orange that is my favourite. There's something special about that spoon.

My next go to isn't a typical pike spoon, Williams Whitefish with a siwash, usually in copper for tea stained water. The big C 90 late in the season, smaller versions earlier in the season. Great flash and I often jerk it and let it flutter down.

Silver minnows in thicker weeds, I like copper/ orange Dr Spoons too.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Wallhanger

Early season the pike love slow and shallow. The Savage Gear 4D jointed hard swimbait in Firetiger is really tough to beat.

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

I agree on the F18 firetiger n a jointed F9 Shad in fire crawdad.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Wallhanger

Zoom Magnum Fluke (7-inch), with a screw lock EWG hook (sometimes keel weighted).
Old 03-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default Favorite

Favorite is 1/2 oz gold, spinner bait which resembles the bait fish in our home waters, VT.

80% of our big 35-46 inch pike (June) in Ontario have hit in the midst of
walleyes in modest current. We cast for pike alot an still catch them consistently jigging with
1/4 oz jigs tipped with 3, 4 or 5 inch curly tails with 1/3 crawler. Last trip 2017 we landed
(2) 40's, an 46 along with a few 35-38 inch fish. We caught one or two 35+ inch fish casting
with pike lures. We caught a 45 on a prior trip jigging usually shallow less than 10 feet of water
Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Bomber Long A in the Baby Pike scheme. Pike are notorious for being cannibals.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Keeper

We go to NW Ontario and fish the walleye opener every year. We cast the back bays where the warmer water is for pike, typically 3-4ft of water. My brother in law always tries throwing **** hounds and other huge baits that sink and spends more time taking muck off his lures than catching fish. I have had a ton of success throwing the Berkley Rib Shad with a weighted hook. Its weedless and with a wide tail you can slow it down or speed it up and keep it right below the surface.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkl...d/1317851.html

Any other suggestions for early season shallow water baits to try?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

Lindy Rally Fish....I like the Blue and silver with the red bill. They like to hit it on the pause. Rip it and let it rise......rip it and pause ...it will slowly rise....We caught back to back 40 inchers on Rainy a couple years ago in late May
Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Slot Fish

I really like the lucky strike half wave. https://www.luckystrikebaitworks.com...html?mode=list

Always seems to produce fish. We also use a lure from central NY called the Sutton Spoon. That caught a 44 incher last year.