Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone make transom elec with spot lock - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-28-2019, 12:03 PM
Minnow

Default Anyone make transom elec with spot lock

Would love the minn Kota vantage to have spot lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Wallhanger

If they did that why would you buy a bow mount?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
If they did that why would you buy a bow mount?
One would still buy a bow mount because it is easier to control a boat at slow speeds by pulling it rather than pushing it. Yes a boat can be pulled backwards from the transom, but it is more efficient to pull it forwards from the bow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Wallhanger

The real question is why would anyone buy a transom mount trolling motor with all the features available with bow mounts.

Read your owner's manual.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

There will never be a transom mount with all the features. Theres just not a market for it. Minnkota learned that with the vantage.. only people who really like them are tiller walleye guys for the most part.. and they are a dying breed.

The rest of the transom motor guys are people who have small boats or on a really small budget, like little jon boats and pond boats.. i doubt most could afford a $1700 trolling motor on a $500 boat.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
The real question is why would anyone buy a transom mount trolling motor with all the features available with bow mounts.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 AM
Wallhanger

If you think about it, all the TM's with spot-lock are electric steer, and I know of no transom-mount that does not come with a direct-connect tiller handle.

Take a cue from hulls that now have an insert across the splashwell, mount a platform, and hang a bow-mount off the back, and use the hand-held remote for operation.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lund splashwell.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	311334  
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

If you want spot lock on the transom, you could take a bow mount motor and mount it on one of the rear gunnels and have it extend over the transom.

The Bass Professor, Mark Hannon, did this man years ago when electric trolling motors first came out and used it with great success - while catching boat loads of bass in southern waters.

To do this all that you need is another motor mount for your bow mounted trolling motor. Remove One of the rear cleats on the boat and bolt down the trolling motor to the gunnel and you wil be good to go with the addition of a trolling motor power plug at the stern of the boat hooked to your trolling motor batteries - wherever they are mounted in the boat.

Note the link from 2012:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum.../t-202576.html
Old 07-05-2019, 08:19 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
Bingo! It doesn't make any sense to spot lock at the stern with the flat transom battling the wind/waves/current. It's much more efficient to spot lock with your bow into the wind/current. Besides, with the modern 4 stroke tiller motors and their RPM tap-down feature, plus the great bow mounted trolling motors (with spot lock) fewer and fewer people are purchasing the Vantage style motors. They are a dying breed.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Slot Fish

I would imagine the manufacturers don't offer spot lock on transom TM's for safety reasons (and low demand). I think they might set themselves up for liability problems if somebody swamped or sunk their boat in wavy conditions...basically the same reason you don't anchor solely from the stern.

Does anybody else remember the Minn Kota 665MX and 412 Backtroller? I looked online and didn't find any good pix of either.

Both were transom mounted powerdrive motors. The mounting base was a little smaller than the bow mounts and they had a transom clamp underneath.

The 665 had a foot pedal and was 28 lb thrust. The 412 was an updated model with 42 pounds of thrust, the composite shaft, and an autopilot compass. It did not have the foot pedal. They both must have been wildly unpopular.

My dad bought a 412 on clearance from somewhere pretty cheap. Seems like it must have been 25 years ago. I think he still has it in the barn.

To be honest, it was awesome. You'd point it in a direction, set the speed, and press the autopilot button and the boat would maintain that (approximate) course. It worked well for trolling, but worked even better on rental resort camp boats for casting a shoreline when there was a little wind. We even hung it on the front of the jonboat sometimes.

Compared to the feature set of today's motors it probably would seem less spectacular, but it was nice to have back then.

I might have to find that thing next time I go visit. As I recall, the only thing we didn't like about it was that it had to be tilted into the boat to stow it and the shaft was really long, so it was in the way when you weren't using it and were sitting at the tiller of the outboard. I think the shaft might have been super long so that the head and tiller would clear the outboard over the top so it could steer uninhibited....or who knows.

Another oddball was (is?) the Motorguide Bulldog cable steer, transom mounted motor. Seems like a nice fit for a small jonboat or something. I'd imagine if you got used to it that it would be good for backtrolling too.

Of course none of these have spot lock.

Steve