Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat for 19' Garage? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Minnow

Thanks for all the tips. My wife and I had a thought to park it angled corner to corner in the garage during summer, then take it to a family's barn in the winter. Does anyone park a 18 foot boat corner to corner in a 20x20?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdehni View Post
Thanks for all the tips. My wife and I had a thought to park it angled corner to corner in the garage during summer, then take it to a family's barn in the winter. Does anyone park a 18 foot boat corner to corner in a 20x20?

Find the boat you want and strike a deal with a local dealer........then make the sale contingent on it fitting in your garage.........either he can tow it over or you can.......if it fits pay the man and if doesn't take it back for a smaller boat/motor/trailer.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Find the boat you want and strike a deal with a local dealer........then make the sale contingent on it fitting in your garage.........either he can tow it over or you can.......if it fits pay the man and if doesn't take it back for a smaller boat/motor/trailer.
Thanks. Might have to take my tape measure around with me to boat shows next winter/spring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks. Might have to take my tape measure around with me to boat shows next winter/spring

Once you settle on the hull you want, go Old School, and make a paper cutout of the boat and garage, using something like a 1' = 1/2" scale.

HRG

added pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boat in garage.pdf (226.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 07-01-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Minnow

An 18 foot boat will easily fit corner to corner in a 19x19 garage. Remember that a lot of the storage length is the motor itself, about 30" of it generally. If you put the motor in the corner and the bow in the other corner you wont even need to fold in the tongue on a trailer.

The other dimension you want to keep in mind is the height of the door and the height of the boat package. I only have 76" clear from the slab to the bottom edge of the door in the open position so that rules out any full windshield boat for me. I have a single console boat and it tucks under there fine, even with my butt seat installed. But it is something to be mindful of that a LOT of folks don't think about. I know more than one that have to take the boat off the hitch and drop the tongue as low as it will go and push in by hand.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdobb View Post
An 18 foot boat will easily fit corner to corner in a 19x19 garage. Remember that a lot of the storage length is the motor itself, about 30" of it generally. If you put the motor in the corner and the bow in the other corner you wont even need to fold in the tongue on a trailer.

The other dimension you want to keep in mind is the height of the door and the height of the boat package. I only have 76" clear from the slab to the bottom edge of the door in the open position so that rules out any full windshield boat for me. I have a single console boat and it tucks under there fine, even with my butt seat installed. But it is something to be mindful of that a LOT of folks don't think about. I know more than one that have to take the boat off the hitch and drop the tongue as low as it will go and push in by hand.
Height is something I'll have to figure out once I'm to that point lol for now, the length is biggest concern. But yes, I plan to even trim motor down, turn all the way to one side and that might give me some more room too.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Height is something I'll have to figure out once I'm to that point lol for now, the length is biggest concern. But yes, I plan to even trim motor down, turn all the way to one side and that might give me some more room too.

Turning the motor gains almost nothing
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Minnow

I park a Lund 1875 Pro-V angled in a 20' x 20' garage. I really wanted a longer model, but wanted to park it in the garage even more. There's just enough room in front to close the door, but enough room behind the boat to walk thru the garage. I work with computer aided drawings everyday, so I was able to lay this out on paper to make sure it was going to fit - you could use graph paper to do the same thing. Take very careful measurements at the dealer, and don't forget about height, to make sure it'll fit under the open garage door. I found Lund's published dimensions to be spot on when I measured an actual boat and trailer.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homegrown1 View Post
I park a Lund 1875 Pro-V angled in a 20' x 20' garage. I really wanted a longer model, but wanted to park it in the garage even more. There's just enough room in front to close the door, but enough room behind the boat to walk thru the garage. I work with computer aided drawings everyday, so I was able to lay this out on paper to make sure it was going to fit - you could use graph paper to do the same thing. Take very careful measurements at the dealer, and don't forget about height, to make sure it'll fit under the open garage door. I found Lund's published dimensions to be spot on when I measured an actual boat and trailer.
Thank you. How much do you have to angle it? Does it take up the whole garage, or can you still fit a small car inside? Looking at something similar to a 1775 impact.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Wallhanger

Off site storage rental?

If you are looking to cram a boat into a tight garage remember you'll need a spotter or a camera to prevent propping the back wall. I put mine in a 25' storage garage and am adding a 2x4 across the width to act as a stop so I can back in to the proper depth without assistance.

As mentioned watch the width too.
Solix 12