Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Water separator? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

J,

The manual only states that one does not want to put a fuel restriction between the fuel tank and the engine.

It might be wise to give mercury motors a call and ask them about using the water separator on your new engine.

I know that there are an awful lot of outboard motors that have fuel separators in line from the fuel tank to the engine.

Check with the manufacturer for any of their recommendations.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the suggestion, REW. I'll give customer service a call and see what they have to say. Kind of silly I didn't think to start there!
Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

My opinion is that a separator may be more needed if alcohol gas is being used, as it attracts water. If regular gas is used, not so much. I have been able to get by without a separator for many years by using only regular gas, maybe I'm just lucky. I do use an additive on a regular basis.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 04:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
Looking through the manual and the exploded parts diagrams I'm pretty sure this engine does not have a water separator built in. Looking around I find no indication that the low pressure filter will remove water.

I am no more clear than when I started hah.
Pull the hood off and look. On my E-TEC itís on port side and looks like a good size oil filter. About $18 at my dealer and 5 minutes to change out every spring.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 AM
Keeper

Default Fuel line

Fuel line was gummed up. My mechanic said common occurrence indicating it was result of ethanol
fuel. I haven't had a problem since.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteye3 View Post
My yammi 115 has a built in water separator in the fuel line system. System failed when used with
regular 10% gas. I started paying more for the non-ethonol and problem solved.

Bottom line I never use regular gas on any non car engines and problems have gone away.
Lawn mowers (3), weed wacker, sleds etc all had fuel lines get clogged up.
IMO the ethanol phobia is old news and not warranted. I can't imagine how many gallons of 10% I've burned with no problems I can attribute to that. In fact the 10% acts as a moisture dissipant similar to what a bottle of Heet did prior to ethanol.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
My opinion is that a separator may be more needed if alcohol gas is being used, as it attracts water. If regular gas is used, not so much. I have been able to get by without a separator for many years by using only regular gas, maybe I'm just lucky. I do use an additive on a regular basis.

Bill
It's actually the exact opposite. Regular gas is hydrophobic and cannot bind with water, leaving free water in your system to separate and possibly corrode components. Because of the ethanol in E10, it can bind with water, making it part of the fuel, carrying it off to be burned.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteye3 View Post
Fuel line was gummed up. My mechanic said common occurrence indicating it was result of ethanol
fuel. I haven't had a problem since.
That problem wasn't from the gas per say, it was because of a faulty liner coating in the fuel lines. Allot of Mercs and a couple other brands sent out engines with those faulty fuel lines quite a while ago.