Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat purchasing advice - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

View Poll Results: What boat
Tracker 13 39.39%
MirroCraft 20 60.61%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2019, 12:42 AM
Minnow

Default Boat purchasing advice

I'm currently shopping for a used fishing boat in for 20,000 or under. Im located in the subarbs of Minneapolis mn and the demand for used boats particularly fishing boats is crazy. After looking af countless websites and calling around I have found 2 viable options and want opinions on the boats and the pricing.

I fish a lot of big water (rainy lake and lake Minnetonka where the waves are big from heavy boat traffic) doing mainly trolling. Looking for a boat with a comfortable ride that will be reliable and long lasting

option 1
- 2013 tracker taga 18WT
-150 merc 4 stroke
- 24 volt 70lb trolling motor
- lowrance mark -5x fishfinder
- 174 hours
- at a dealership that has gone through the whole boat and given it a clean bill of health (fixed a few minor issues)
-19,995 is asking (hard on price)

option 2
-2007 Mirrocraft 1777 Aggressor Exp
-merc optimal 115
- "low hours"
- trolling motor
- depth finder
- listed by private seller so no pre purchase inspection
- asking 14,500

If you were in my shoes what would you do? What is your experience with the 2 boats? Do you have any other leads on boats in my area?

Thanks In advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 03:23 AM
Wallhanger

I had a 16' Mirrocraft and it was a good boat, just a little small. I've heard some bad opinions of Trackers on here in the past.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:02 AM
Keeper

You are likely to get negative feedback on this site about the Tracker......

My comment is this - buy the boat that has the layout you like and is a price you are willing to pay.

I fish on Erie a lot......see lots of boats and see a lot of Targa's on the water.

The other comment I will make is don't rush the purchase....... I know you want to get on the water, but sometimes you will find better deals closer to fall. People who are going to purchase a new boat the following year and don't want to store their boat over the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

I would keep looking. Both are on the high end price wise. You will do better if you wait. That Mirrocraft is 13 years old. He also can get a scan done on the motor that will tell you hours and rpm's it was ran at.

Have cash in hand or your financing lined up when you look. As the summer progresses guys will start thinking about storing boats over the winter. They will get antsy to order new boats. Don't be afraid to make a offer, don't be afraid to walk away. Also spend lots of time looking at boats and understand the value and demand for each brand. Feel out the seller. Understand how much they know about boats before you make a offer. Often times it's their neighbor or relative that set the price and nobody knows what the darn thing is worth.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I would pick the Targa out of those 2 because it's larger, newer, and has a 150 4 stroke. But TMg is right about both being rather high in price, unless it is just what you are looking for.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

All great tips from That Minnesota Guy . I will add this link so you can do your own reading and research but please spend some time there reading so you know what your dealing with https://www.consumeraffairs.com/boats/tracker.html

My intention is not to start a flame war over boat brands, that's why im providing link so OP can do own reading.

As its been already suggested, i would hold on and really search the market, deals will be coming up at end of season, i myself bought most my boats in February. That does rule out a water test but i bring a compression tester .
Good luck in your search
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 07-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Minnow

I have a 2017 Tracker PG175WT. Its very similar to the Targa. The consoles are literally held up by glue. The glue on both my consoles broke, this caused sagging that broke the starboard windshield. These boats are not made well at all. I will never get another Tracker boat.

I should also mention the trolling motor was held down with #10 screws. I ripped the trolling motor up off the bow in some big waves once.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
I have a 2017 Tracker PG175WT. Its very similar to the Targa. The consoles are literally held up by glue. The glue on both my consoles broke, this caused sagging that broke the starboard windshield. These boats are not made well at all. I will never get another

I should also mention the trolling motor was held down with #10 screws. I ripped the trolling motor up off the bow in some big waves once.
My uncle bought in early 2000s a tracker, I bought a lund. Both boats stored in a garage. He has had no problems with the hull or mercury motor, however, I believe he has replaced just about everything else on it, starting with stuff breaking a couple years after it was new. The componets....seats, guages, pumps, even the trailers on them are not the best on the market. For my Lund, I have replaced helm seat in the 14 years I owned it. Paid 13k for it in 2000 new, sold it for 10500 in 2017.
Just my thoughts
Old 07-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Wallhanger

Look around for the best deal and the boat that best fits your requirements. No boat brand is perfect. Over the years I've owned Starcraft,Smokercraft,Sylvan,Bayliner,Alumacraft and now a Tracker. I've purchased it new in January of this year, The fit and finish are fine by me, so far I'm very pleased. Pulled it on a 1600 mile trip to TN and back with no issues zero tire wear and pulled straight and true. My brother has a 1989 Sylvan Back Troller he purchased new, the only thing he has replaced over time was the motor,batteries,tires, and electronics.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Wallhanger

Coming from the guy that got one of the most infamous lemons from Tracker, I wouldn't worry too much about their past issues. Yeah, they put out allot of garbage back 10-15 years ago and had terrible customer and warranty service, but from everything I've seen and heard in the last 5-10 years, it seems like they made allot of changes and issues are few and far between now. I'd be comfortable purchasing a 2013 Targa.

Tags
aggressor , boat purchase , mirrocraft , taga , tracker