Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat purchasing advice - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

View Poll Results: What boat
Tracker 15 39.47%
MirroCraft 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
All great tips from That Minnesota Guy . I will add this link so you can do your own reading and research but please spend some time there reading so you know what your dealing with https://www.consumeraffairs.com/boats/tracker.html

My intention is not to start a flame war over boat brands, that's why im providing link so OP can do own reading.

As its been already suggested, i would hold on and really search the market, deals will be coming up at end of season, i myself bought most my boats in February. That does rule out a water test but i bring a compression tester .
Good luck in your search
Most of those negative reviews were bass pro issues. Any boat can have problems and most brands do, the difference is how the problems are taken care of. I have a zv18 and love the boat. It has been great for the past 4 seasons. I bought it through a local independent dealer and they have treated me like family. The biggest issue with Tracker/Nitro boats is BPS. I will certainly admit there were some hull issues with the tracker boats back in the day but now, for the most part those issues have been taken care of.
I will agree with some others about both of those boats being overpriced. If you had it narrowed down to the two boats I would go with the tracker for more room, longer for bigger water and the 4 stroke motor.

2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
2015 Nitro ZV18
200hp Optimax
15hp EFI Mercury Pro Kicker
Lowrance electronics
HDS9, HDS7, HDS7, Elite 5
MinnKota Terrova 112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Wallhanger

I voted for the Mirrocraft simply because of Trackers bad reputation.

I haven't owned either brand of boat, all my knowledge is what I read.

Trackers are cheap to buy new, so they better be comparably as cheap used, and I don't feel this one is quite cheap enough.

As others have said, time and patience are your friend. Have your fishing buddies help you with your hunt. Cash is king when negotiating the deal.

If it was me, I'd wait. You'll have waaaay more negotiating power with a pocket full of cash on the first of November than you do today. And who knows, that Tracker might still be there on November 1st, and if it is, you might own it for $18K.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

There are plenty of threads here and other places regarding the Tracker line. I have never owned one but my cousin has, and regretted it from the day he brought it home. A 2013 Targa w/150 Merc. Hull and motor there were no problems, all the rest of the rig was a disaster from the trailer an 1 1/2" out of square (ate both tires from Milw. to Duluth), to electrical and plumbing problems (hoses not even connected, and fuse block fried itself when it got wet). Sold the intrepid vessel with less that 100 hrs for 1/2 the price he paid for it in less than a year.

Like others have said, both seem to be high priced, and there are better deals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Slot Fish

A few thoughts for you....

Pricing - if you are willing and able to wait, you will find much better deals this fall. If not, keep looking - and start looking at Craigslist. There are always some nice boats on Minneapolis CL. Fall is the time to buy a boat, Spring and Summer are the time to sell a boat.

Boats - I fish Minnetonka frequently. I wouldn't run anything shorter than an 18 footer out there if you want to choose when you fish, especially if you are trolling. If you are OK letting time and traffic dictate when you fish, smaller would work. I see 16 foot tillers out there sometimes in the early morning. That's about the only time I see them though. Too narrow and too low (freeboard - the sides of the boat) to be out there with big boats or big wakesurfing wakes.

Good luck with your search!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 AM
Slot Fish

I shopped around all last year looking for a used boat. I found a bunch but in my mind they were asking too much. I waited till August and pulled the trigger on a used 2015 1880 Angler. All this year I keep checking the for sale ads to see if I got a good deal and so far I did.

So my recommendation would be to keep looking. If you look at a boat and it doesn't bring a smile to your face before you even step foot in it I would not consider it the right boat for you. If you find yourself making compromises to talk yourself into it then it isn't the right boat for you.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcodner View Post
I shopped around all last year looking for a used boat. I found a bunch but in my mind they were asking too much. I waited till August and pulled the trigger on a used 2015 1880 Angler. All this year I keep checking the for sale ads to see if I got a good deal and so far I did.

So my recommendation would be to keep looking. If you look at a boat and it doesn't bring a smile to your face before you even step foot in it I would not consider it the right boat for you. If you find yourself making compromises to talk yourself into it then it isn't the right boat for you.
This is great advice on compromising. Took me 7 months before I ordered my boat, and it is perfect.....for me.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund1875# View Post
This is great advice on compromising. Took me 7 months before I ordered my boat, and it is perfect.....for me.

x2

be patient

don't fall in love with a boat, there are plenty that come available.

Be ready to pounce, the good deal won't last more than a day or two.

Go see a couple prior to buying and don't get set on one.... this will give you a feel for what's out there.

Do your homework and from my experience you'll never get hurt buying a good used boat for a good price as they hold their value well.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Keeper

Be patient! Keep looking everyday and be ready to buy and be willing to travel! Youíll know the right deal when you see it. Before my last 2 new boats I bought 5 used boats everyone when I found them I thought they might be too good to be true. I bought them that day or the next and made money selling everyone of them. Used boat shopping takes 2 things preparation and capitalization, be ready and donít drag your feet when you find the one because great deals donít last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 11:56 PM
Wallhanger

Default Boat purchasing advice

Took me 3 years to find the perfect used boat. Itís a tough market for sure. When I did find it I went 7 hours one way to get it.

Did you happen to look at walleye central classifieds? There are at least three boats that I would pick over your choices listed, and still be in your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WallyWarrior; 07-09-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Minnow

Default Look at storage

I went through this not so long ago as well. Don't underestimate the need for storage. In the end I went with a lund because it had more storage (and some reputation) than the other similar models even though I was forced to go with a smaller boat to get into my budget. For me it was a great tradeoff because it is just me and 1 other person OR the family and all their stuff. Might not be the right fit for you based on your needs. I really like my boat and glad I went this route. Took me over a year to decide and I sat in Lord only knows how many boats. Many of them 5 times. Always wanted a tracker, but ended up talking myself out of it and glad I did. Enjoy the process!

Tags
aggressor , boat purchase , mirrocraft , taga , tracker