Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What's your favorite trolling app these days? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Wallhanger

Default What's your favorite trolling app these days?

Just wondering what folks' favorite trolling app is these days, and if you don't mind, I'd also love to hear why...

Thanks!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 01:58 PM
Wallhanger

What are you looking for? If it is mostly cranks,Precision trolling data. I don't know what the price is now but it was 99 when I got it. Best $99 I have spent on fishing stuff. Easy use,gobs of lures included. I trust all the crankbait info.
I will add if you use the recommended line types and associated diameters .Calibrate all your LC reels you will trust it too. There are additional numbers for snap weights and other things that I have not used extensively,but am sure they too will be good. I have info I have accumulated over the years for the other stuff. I have tried other things and they seem be inconsistent for they way I fish. Most apps are cheap enough you can just try them and see if they work for you. PTD has put an index in recently that makes it easier to find lures for different presentations. You can select lures that will help to find only what you have(favorites) it was needed with the massive amount of lures included. JMHO Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 06-12-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Wallhanger

Well, REALLY I'd prefer that there were one trolling app that does it all, and better still, that does each thing at least as well as any other app does. No such critter, huh?...

Failing that, I'm still too ignorant to know what the particular strengths and weaknesses of various apps are, let alone which of those I should prioritize. Tried looking for a good overview of what all is out there at present and couldn't find any such online. The only priority I feel sure of is that the app should be accurate and precise, as it doesn't matter how much data one has if those data aren't trustworthy.

And also with respect to accuracy and precision...

I only recently acquired my first line-counting reel, a Shimano Tekota 501HGLCA, which I figure I'll always spool with 30 lb Power Pro (and then I'll simply use different leaders as called for by circumstance). Looked right away in its manual for information on calibrating, but found nothing on the subject. Am I correct in understanding that the way LC reels do their thing is by counting revolutions of the spool, and the way to calibrate them is to fill the spool with just the right amount of line so that the counter indicates 100 ft when 100 ft of line has been let out? Seems kind of crude, but if it works...

Yes, I know, I've SO VERY MUCH to learn! I'm working on it.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, line counters work on revolutions not actual line let out. There are numerous articles/threads that discuss reel calibration. Use mono backer then tie on your main line. If you lose a large section of the main line just spool it back up with the same measured amount and you should be back to your original calibration.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Wallhanger

Google, how to calibrate a line counter reel and you will find numerous videos on how to calibrate.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
What are you looking for? If it is mostly cranks,Precision trolling data. I don't know what the price is now but it was 99 when I got it. Best $99 I have spent on fishing stuff.

The app is free to download, and then, each lure you want to add to your list is 1.99 each.

The Lifetime version gives you all the lures they have tested, and will ever test, and any future software updates. A good value actually...I think it's 125.00 now. I got it at 99.00 when they first offered it too, and agree with you on it's value.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 06-12-2020, 06:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Well, REALLY I'd prefer that there were one trolling app that does it all, and better still, that does each thing at least as well as any other app does. No such critter, huh?...

Failing that, I'm still too ignorant to know what the particular strengths and weaknesses of various apps are, let alone which of those I should prioritize. Tried looking for a good overview of what all is out there at present and couldn't find any such online. The only priority I feel sure of is that the app should be accurate and precise, as it doesn't matter how much data one has if those data aren't trustworthy.

And also with respect to accuracy and precision...

I only recently acquired my first line-counting reel, a Shimano Tekota 501HGLCA, which I figure I'll always spool with 30 lb Power Pro (and then I'll simply use different leaders as called for by circumstance). Looked right away in its manual for information on calibrating, but found nothing on the subject. Am I correct in understanding that the way LC reels do their thing is by counting revolutions of the spool, and the way to calibrate them is to fill the spool with just the right amount of line so that the counter indicates 100 ft when 100 ft of line has been let out? Seems kind of crude, but if it works...

Yes, I know, I've SO VERY MUCH to learn! I'm working on it.

Gerry
Link: https://www.google.com/search?q=cali...hrome&ie=UTF-8
The part that makes this necessary is the fact that as line comes off the reel the diameter reduces which changes the relation of how much line comes off per revolution. So what you are doing is getting an average diameter so that it comes out correct. The 100' may or may not be you common line out # for where you fish or what you fish for an whatever that is it would be more accurate for you to use that depth. But at some point a standard needs to be chosen. With all honesty 100 will be the only exact match to the amount of line you will be letting out,but a few feet is not going to change the depth very much. However it will be as good as you can get and is a good starting place. If you can figure out a way without it being some atomic particle every foot inside the line please do. ;-) Bob
Old 06-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Wallhanger

I understand, Bob. The LC reel metering and calibration methods aren't as precise as my anal-retentive personality would prefer (too many years of lab work, I guess), but they're practical and get the job done. So be it.

Sounds like Precision Trolling Data is the way to go, then.

Thanks again!

Gerry
Old 06-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Wallhanger

APPs are cool and all. I have one for my old lead acid batteries, and now for my lithiums. That said, I still prefer a print book/card rather than trying to read a dinky screen out on the water. I recently purchased a new copy of Precision trolling Pro edition. I think that there is great value in having a hard copy even if it's a bit dated.

For line I run Power Pro 10/2? on my flat lines. I also have 10# Yozuri hybrid or 12# Big Game for my board lines. Okuma makes a 350 low pro line counter that is very close in size to a standard Revo bait caster.
Solix 12 G1

Last edited by Diesel Pro; 06-16-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:06 AM
Wallhanger

I have baits sorted in boxes and I print labels on them with common(to me) lineouts for the baits in that box.( taped to the inside of the lid) I am able to use the phone, but it's quicker if the info is on the box. Bob