Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dehumidifier Compressor Tank Why So Heavy? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Dehumidifier Compressor Tank Why So Heavy?

I made my predictable 2 year replacement on my basement dehumidifier. I believe the switch circuit board failed this time. so it is history, got another new one, doesn't seem to matter what the brand, they all seem to fail in a bunny's life time, maybe sooner.

Anyway, I salvaged some hardware, etc. I noticed that the compressor tank(?) is extremely heavy and just wonder if it is lined with lead, certainly much heavier than it should be for the size. Just curious, anyone know?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2021, 01:19 PM
Wallhanger

Can't speak to the compressor tank, but I have had good luck with Perfect Aire brand. I have one in my basement and in my shop (5 years on each), and one in our church (2 or 3 years).

Only issue I've had is the one in the shop getting a little clog in the drain tube (happened twice)...just need to blow into the drain tube to clear.

I know many are made with the same components, but these have worked well for me. Clean the filter often and don't run on continuous...use the humidity control at 45-50%

Fleet farm used to carry the model I have but not anymore I see. This is it, but I didn't pay nearly that much:

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Aire-...s%2C180&sr=8-7
Old 06-08-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Bill,
I am innately curious.
As a result, I will ask a question.
Can you take a picture of the object that you thought could be a tank that was very heavy?

----------------------
When I have checked the parts list of several different dehumidifiers it seems that they have just a few main parts.

Compressor to compress the freon.
A condenser and heat exchanger where the moisture from the air is sucked out and put into the water storage container.

The water storage container.

A circuit board for control.

The filter assembly for the air.

I think that that are all of the main parts. So, I am just wondering what exactly you are referring to in your post.

Thanks for any updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2021, 04:30 PM
Wallhanger

Its not a tank. It the compressor and motor sealed inside. That is why its heavy.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Bill,
I am innately curious.
As a result, I will ask a question.
Can you take a picture of the object that you thought could be a tank that was very heavy?

----------------------
When I have checked the parts list of several different dehumidifiers it seems that they have just a few main parts.

Compressor to compress the freon.
A condenser and heat exchanger where the moisture from the air is sucked out and put into the water storage container.

The water storage container.

A circuit board for control.

The filter assembly for the air.

I think that that are all of the main parts. So, I am just wondering what exactly you are referring to in your post.

Thanks for any updates.

p.s.
You are not talking about the water storage container that has not been emptied are you when you refer to a tank?
Old 06-08-2021, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Bill,
Several years ago, I noticed that I had an issue with my Hot water heater.
The heater was leaking water out of the top fitting on the tank. I called the company and they said that the heater was still under a 12 year warranty and that I had 10 days to swap it out.

They said, take it over to the store where you purchased it and they would have a new one waiting for me. Then, they indicated that the new water heater would have 9 days total on the warranty.

No issue since I paid for 12 years of warranty.

At any rate, I stopped by my neighbors house which had a couple of young strapping men and asked if they could help with moving a hot water heater. They said, how's the Bud. I said that when you are finished the 6 pack will be on ice for you.

So, I went home, hooked a drain hose to the water heater, put the drain hose in the floor drain and opened the drain valve. Then, I set to removing the gas and water and exhaust connections. I was just finished when the young men came over.

I had my 2 - wheeler ready for use and we wrestled it out of its position and onto the two wheeler for movement up the stairs and out the back door of the house. We all remarked at how HEAVY this water heater seemed to be. We rolled it up onto my utility trailer and said that I would be back with the new heater and the 6-pack for them. I traveled to the store from where I had purchased it and the receiving folks came out and said, "Ok, lets roll it off the trailer and we will tip it over in the parking lot to drain any remaining water out of the heater.

We did and we did - roll it out and tip it over. Just as soon as the heater tipped a little bit, water began to pour out of the top plumbing fitting.

I expect that what happened was that I had a kink in the long hose that was coiled up on the floor as the heater was (Draining?
) - NOT. So, we moved a 50 gallon water heater filled with 50 gallons of water Which weigh 415 lbs. No wonder, that the old water heater weighed so much.

When we rolled in the new one, it seemed as light as a feather since it did not have the weight of the 50 gallons of water in the tank.

-------------
Thanks for any pictures on your source of weight in your dehumidifier.

Take care
Old 06-08-2021, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

This is what he's seeing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R848429adfedd1978e62127b8393acb71.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	327054  
Old 06-08-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey Fisherman View Post
This is what he's seeing.
Yup, thanks all for the responses, a friend offered that the item is full of mechanical parts. I learned a little about the subject today.

Bill
Old 06-09-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Bill, consider this dehumidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Yup, thanks all for the responses, a friend offered that the item is full of mechanical parts. I learned a little about the subject today.

Bill
I also USED to go through a basement dehumidifier every couple years. Then I bought this one. I think this one is a real 'keeper".

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/c...-110-pints-day

Quiet, but fairly heavy. It really brought the humidity down in my basement more than any of the cheap big box units ever have. Time will tell, but so far it is outstanding.

Pooch
Attached Images

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 06-09-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Pokey,
Thanks for the picture.

Bill.
Correct on the assumption.

Inside the tank is the motor and the compressor pump - as well as the weight of the sealed tank as well. Thus you have a heavy assembly.

Also, as other posts have said - if you are having trouble with the motor, compressor, or a leaky tank - the typical venue to pursue; is to scrap the current dehumidifier and purchase a new one.

The motor/compressor/ tank assembly is 90% of the cost of the dehumidifier.

Best wishes.

-------------------------------
Many years ago, my father had purchased a window air conditioner that contains essentially the same sort of sealed tank, compressor motor assembly.

Due to the location and the location of power a different power cord needed to be installed on the unit. At that time I had done a lot of wiring so my father asked me to take care of the job.

I was in a bit of a hurry due to other jobs that needed to get done and I went to work. However, I had not unplugged the unit from the 110V ac. As a result, after disconnecting the first wire from the power bus, that wire was loose accidentally landed on the tank containing the motor and pump and refrigerant. The resulting spark became a mini welder and burned a hole through the tank. The hole resulted in a loss of all of the coolant on the brand new Air conditioner unit. As expected, my father was unhappy. So, the next time we was going to town, he loaded up the AC into the truck and took it into the electrical / refrigerator shop in town. They welded up the hole, and reloaded the A/C unit with freon.

When the A/C unit came back - with a longer cord, my father suggested that I not repeat the same mistake again. I assured him that I had learned from my mistake. In all of the years since, I have never ever failed to disconnect power - before working on anything powered by electricity.

That was one thing that I really appreciated about my parents. We were given the tools and the instructions on how to start the job and gave us free rein to get the job done. We did make a mistake from time to time, but as my father said - just part of the cost of having the children educated.