Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Longevity? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 09-06-2002, 12:38 PM
shawn

Default Lund Longevity?

I'm about to purchase a Lund 2025 which, hopefully, will be my last boat. I take very good care of my toys and this boat will be stored inside my shop. Will this boat still be a good boat in 10 - 15 years? How does the paint stand the test of time? I'm after feedback from those of you who have Lunds over 10 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Lund Longevity?

I have a 1994 1660 Pro V, I know it isn't 10 years old yet, but I plan to have it for many more years. I have had people at the launches ask if it is a new boat, as you do, I take care of my equipment, and it shows. Lund is a quality piece of quipment to start with, and if you care for it, it will stay that way. I am sure that most all other quality boats would as well.

To answer you question in a direct way, "you take care of it, and it will take care of you".

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Robert F. Kennedy
Old 09-06-2002, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

This is only one example but it will probably give you an idea what I think of Lund reliability. My uncle bought a 16.5 deep hull lund boat with a windshield back a year or two before I was born (mid 60's). The boat looks very much like today's Tyee. It was the family boat at the cabin on Mille Lacs for my entire childhood. It had no bilge pumps but it never leaked water so the only water that drained when the plug was pulled was water taken over the side or rain water. After 30 years in the family, it was sold to a friend who still runs it today. I think it is on its 4th motor. Last I heard it still had it's original paint job.

From my last memory of it, I can only picture a couple small tears in the upholstery. Lots of great memories in that boat including my earliest memories of fishing - getting a snag or two off Sherman Point or being way out on the flats in the summer.

There is no telling how many walleyes were pulled over the side of that boat or how many kids learned how to ski behind it!

That boat probably has its 40th birthday coming up one of these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2002, 11:07 PM
Slot Fish

I never owned a Lund, but if they're as good a boat as everyone on this site claims they are, I don't see why it shouldn't last you the rest of your life. Seriously. Think about it. On a typical aluminum fishing boat hull, the worst thing that can go wrong over a long period of time, is the transom wood could rot. Barring anything unusual occuring, or someone attaching something to the transom without using the proper sealant, I would doubt that a problem would occur before 20 to 30 years, if ever. What's nice about aluminum boats is that if that ever did happen, the wood could be replaced. Even if a rivet were to fall out, they can be replaced. It's common to see Starcraft aluminum boats from the 60s and 70s still going strong. There's no reason an aluminum hull shouldn't be able to last a lifetime. You may have to repower at some point in time, but the hull should stay good.

As far as the paint goes, I don't know what to tell you on that one. If pretty's what your after, go glass.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:08 AM
Dave K

I think it depends on how you use it. On the great lakes people who fish in rough water find a Lund lasts 4-5 years before rivets start to break. The good thing about Lund boats is they are much easier to repair than other boats like glass and welded Al. If you don't fish rough water a Lund Hull will last your lifetime.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I"VE got a 1993 pro v 1775 looks great no problems and its still worth what it cost new . jim
Old 09-11-2002, 11:13 AM
MarkG

Its Like anything,including your car! Take care of it it should last a long time. As far as paint,,Wax it ,use somthing with UV protection. There is a lot of wood in these boats,if you store it correctly,dont leave it get filled up with water and sit for long periods of time, floors,decks and transome should last long time,if not the lifetime of the boat. The first thing that probably will start to look aged is the carpet. With work,vacuming and hosedowns (on a nice sunny day so it will dry quickly) ,you can keep them lookin nearly showroom new,but quite honestly its a lot of work and if you choose a dark carpet will take some effort to keep from lookin like crap. I am starting to come over with these guys that insist vinyl instead of carpet is the way to go. Not sayin they have to be "babyed" ,just cared for and maintained properly. However I disagree with the comment that an aluminum boat is easier to fix than glass. If you crack or punch a whole in a glass boat, a dealer can usually fix it and make it look like new in a couple of weeks. (happened to buddy of mine). If you do any serious damage to an aluminum boat,its usually a major project with a de-rigging and trip back to the factory,that may take several months. (Happened to me). But in most cases an unlikly event for you.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Keeper

In 1989 my uncle bought a Lund Renegade 1650. I bought the boat from him a year + ago. I did have to replace the floor and seats, only because the boat sat outside for a couple winters without a cover. The hull was in great shape other than a few dings from the docks of course. I'm sure the paint had faded some, but a good UV protectant wax would help stop this. Again, my boat was stored outside for the 11 years it was in the family. If you store this boat indoors, I'm betting 10 years from now it will look like new other than normal wear and tear from use. Good luck!!
Old 09-11-2002, 08:24 PM
Minnow

I bought my `88' Tyee in 1995. It was spotless. Today, it is still spotless. The paint is still not faded. One coat of wax in the spring an another in the fall keep it looking good. I fish 3 - 5 tournaments a year in some nasty conditions on FT. Peck and other lakes in Mt. I had one rivet fail this year. It took me one hour to repair it. One rivet in 14 yrs. isn't bad!
Every tournament I get offers to buy it. Next year will be the time for my 2025 Pro V. I'm not worried about Lund quality.

Tom